Chapter 29

Lucy's POV:

Emily had told me how the girls in the changing room were whispering about her, saying she didn't deserve to be on the team and my heart broke for her. She has been through so much recently and she doesn't need more people in her life putting her down. She deserves to be on that team more than anyone else. I could feel my blood boiling, it made me so angry seeing how much their words had affected her, i nearly stormed back into the changing room and if Emily hadn't begged me not to, I would've.

I had decided to take Emily to Starbucks to cheer her up a bit. Once we got our coffee's, we sat outside as it was much quieter and I wanted to talk to Emily in private.

"I want you to listen to me okay?" I said to Emily in a serious tone, she nodded taking a sip of her coffee.

"You've been through so much recently and I don't want that to stop you from doing the things that you love, there will be a lot of people like Natalie in you're life, there was a lot in mine but I learnt how to ignore them, instead of engaging with their hate I chose to prove them wrong by working hard and succeeding and I want you to do the same. You can't control what people say but you can control how you react. You're an amazing player, Emily and you have so much potential so don't let people who don't know you're story tell it for you" I told her meaning every word I said

She gave me a small smile, wiping away the tear that had slipped from her eye while I spoke. I could tell she listened to every word I said and that's all I wanted. I wanted her to remember them if she ever felt like giving up again.

I stood up after we had finished our drinks and before we got to the car I pulled Emily into a hug. I knew she needed it and the way she wrapped her arms around me so tightly proved it. We stayed like that for a while and before she pulled away I heard her mumble "thank you for everything, Lucy" into my shoulder and I smiled. I know she appreciated what I had said and that's all I wanted.

On the way home I had decided to email Emily's coach and ask him to keep and eye on Natalie and if he saw anything going on between her and Emily. I knew Emily would be annoyed if she found out but I care about her too much to stand by and let someone treat her like that.

——-
Longer one for you guys.
Also would love some ideas for this story if you have any, thanks xx