Trickery

Adira-Mommy

*Iris' P.O.V*

I was in deep conversation with a horse, trying to see what he thought about being ridden. It turns out he didn't mind it that much but he much preferred when people didn't use the fancy saddles and when they acknowledged that he was a powerful creature who could and would stomp them.

Hearing him say that scared me a little but I guess if I was a horse I'd threaten to stomp people who bothered me too. The horse...I never did ask his name, eventually ditches me to rejoin his herd. I pout at that, crossing my arms over my chest as I watch him leave.

"Meanieeee, all alone," I duck my head, a small frown on my lips as I glare at the backsides of the horses. They had left me all alone...what were they pretending to be? My dad? Well they stuck around longer than he did so their plan failed.

"What are you doing?" Esme's voice snaps me out of my thoughts. I tilt my head back, looking at her. I'm currently sitting on the fence trying to turn so that I can lay upside down on the fence. I'm not sure it's even possible but I have to at least try!

I puff out my cheeks as I stare at her, smiling after a moment. I throw myself off the fence, going over to her since it's been so long since I've seen her. I hold out my arms, expecting her to pick me up like everyone else does. She doesn't though, so I pout at her with a small huff escaping me.

"What is it that you want?" Esme asks and I'm appalled that she actually expects me to use my words. I never use my words! Words are for boring people who need to speak, not for perfect angels like me that could have their minds read in an instant.

"Up," I finally say, making grabby hands. She chuckles, lifting me up after a moment and only then do I realize that she knew that I wanted uppies all along and just was being silly.

"You're meannnn," I pout, my lower lip sticking out as I cross my arms over my chest and look away, acting all offended so that she knows that she really messed up by being so mean to me. I was going to tell everyone about how mean she was...and I mean everyone!

"I apologize, I just wanted to see if you could remember how to use your words or if the Elders have spoiled you so much that you just expect people to know things," Esme teases, making me scrunch up my face to show my anger.

"I don't expect people to know things. Just you...and the Elders, they also should just know what I want since they're practically mindreaders," I inform her, squirming in her arms to get comfortable. She adjusts her hold, resting me on her hip as she rocks me slightly. I giggle slightly, cuddling into her at how gently she sways. Like she thinks I'll break or something. And people don't break so easily, especially not me! So she was just being silly.

"Well sadly I am not so I need you to tell me when you want things," Esme says. I cuddle into her, my eyes closing for a moment. I won't nap though, I just want to close my eyes. My thumb slips into my mouth, something Esme doesn't comment on as she continues to sway.

"Where have you been? Missed you," I nuzzle into her, yawning after a moment when she adjusts her hold so that her hand is rubbing my back slightly.

"I missed you too. I've been busy working, Madame asked that I help keep an eye on you from now on, seeing as she thinks you're going to enter the rebellious "I can do anything I want" stage soon," Esme says, making me huff at her words. That was so not true! I mean it was true I could do anything I wanted but I didn't need her or anyone else's supervision.

"Madame bossy pants is wrong," I grumble, earning a laugh from Esme as she hums softly. Her humming is nice, it's right next to my ear and I settle down in her hold, listening to the sound with a small smile.

"Well I'm sure you can tell her that when you get the chance," Esme says as her nails scratch my back lightly, making me groan slightly as I go limp in her arms. My eyes flutter open after a moment and I give her a dirty look as I realize what she's doing.

"You're trying to get me to napppp," I whine, rubbing at my eyes to try and wipe away the sleepiness. Esme grabs my hand before I can, pulling my hand away from my eyes.

"You're going to hurt your eyes doing that," Esme says as she frowns slightly, continuing to sway with me.

"I don't wanna nap, why you tricking me?" I pout at her, upset that my bestest friend at the moment could betray me. She wasn't my bestest friend at the time anymore, no one was! Everyone was clearly evil and plotting against me.

"I just thought you could need one based on how tired you look," Esme says.

"Don't look tired," I argue, huffing slightly at her untrue words. It was all lies! And slander! Nothing she said was true.

"You looked like you were about to fall off the fence earlier with how much your eyes kept closing," Esme says back.

"Not cause I was sleepy, cause I like the sun shining on my face," I argue, sitting up in her arms to cross my arms over my chest and give her a disapproving look.

"Fine...I'll tell Madame that you don't want to nap then and it will be her problem," Esme says, making my eyes widen.

"Can you put me down so I can run away first? I wanna try to outrun Mommy, she has powers but I think I can be faster," I tell Esme, who obliges and sets me down with a small smile. I giggle, taking off as quickly as I can before she can even turn around to go inside and tell Mommy.