Chapter 39: Truth and Consequences

The seas between New Domino and Satellite were choppy and rough, a storm brewing due to the appearance of the Earthbound Immortals. Most with sense were avoiding the ocean. But despite the oncoming storm, a single boat braved the seas, with one person serving as the passenger and pilot. A tall, slender man in a brown trench coat, a fedora and wearing black sunglasses... Within the Lizard tower, Misty sat alone in the darkness. She could feel the emptiness, the loss of her allies. She knew she stood alone now, last of the Dark Signers.

She flicked open the locket she held in her hand, staring at the picture within. It showed her standing beside a young boy in a Duel Academy uniform, with raven-black hair the same shade as hers.

"Toby..."

She then started to shed some tears...

Three Duel Runners and a car formed a small convoy along the battered and pitted highways of Satellite, heading for the Lizard tower. Astride his Runner, (Y/N) kept his eyes firmly fixed on the road ahead, as he thought about what just happened so far...

'All of these Dark Signers...' he thought. 'Died unfairly but ended up revived for evil that wants to destroy the world...Kalin after Yusei... Devack for who knows what against the twins... and then Mom and Dad... ' Yusei pulled up, riding right beside him.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"I'm fine," the Haos duelist murmured. "Yusei... I'm just worried about Akiza, everything's riding on her victory and to seal the last tower..."

"That's why we're making sure it happens," the Satellite stated.

"Just gotta make sure it's done by sunset..." (Y/N) said. 'I hope you'll be alright, Akiza... whoever it was that gave you a hard time when the Arcadia Movement was destroyed; I hope you can overcome it...'

Akiza fidgeted as she sat in the car beside Mina, the car approaching the location to the Lizard Tower. She then decided to speak up...

"Misty's after me because she thinks I killed her brother," She stated.

"Is it true that her brother's dead?" Mina asked.

"I don't know who her brother is or even what happened to make her think that..." the Plant duelist replied.

"Then she must be mistaken..." Mina thought out loud.

Soon, the two of them pulled up outside an abandoned amusement park, from which rose the monolithic Lizard tower. The two looked up at it as they got out of the car.

"We must find the last Dark Signer quickly," Mina said softly.

"We don't know when the geoglyph might spring up, so we need to be careful," Akiza replied, walking towards the park. Mina hesitated, and then followed her... A short while later, (Y/N), Yusei, Crow, Leo, Luna and Trudge stopped beside the empty car.

"They must already be inside," (Y/N) mused, dismounting and pulling off his helmet.

"The Duel hasn't started yet," Luna murmured, glancing around.

"We'll split up to search for Akiza," Yusei decided. "Trudge, you go with Leo and Luna. (Y/N), go with Crow. I'll search on my own." (Y/N) nodded...

Mina wandered through the abandoned buildings of the park, giving a soft sigh.

"It's sad that a place like this is devoid of people," she murmured.

"Everything fades, in time." Startled, the woman looked to see the man in the trench coat.

"Who are you?" Mina asked.

"I'm here by order of Director Goodwin," the man explained. "Apparently the disappearance phenomenon present in the city has spread to Satellite..."