23 Christmas day lunch

" Thank you Kono for calling me. I know she will be stoked. I hate to lose her as a bomb tech. She deserves it. I am glad all your positions are filled. Maura and others really came through.  I read cases that Maura wished the police department had their own coroner and employees like she she did in Boston."

I ended the call while Helen was driving us to do some Christmas shopping at the Arden Mall.

" I heard your conversation. This is great for Mary. Her medical background and her being a doctor will benefit your guys community.  I never understood why she didn't use her skills as a doctor when she got here  Catherine.  She did well in Sydney."  " She needed a break and wanted to fall back on her previous skills.  I had a position vacant when she moved here. We all made career moves even we did. "

We walked in and the crowds were packed.  We had a few hours for Helen to shop for the two names she chose last night for the Vincent Korsak's Children Shelter party.  We picked it up last night. The luncheon at the Rizzoli's home starts at twelve.  Which means we had three hours to find them and get them wrapped.  Helen wanted to do this.
The crowds and lines were ridiculous. I stood in the line at a teen age boys store while Helen chose some outfits to fit the two boys. She had already bought two Amazon gift cards for them. She had their list what they would want. It took us over an hour to get out of the mall and another forty minutes to drive to my place so she could wrap them then we would take off in my truck.  Frank had his truck full inside with his and a few from his colleagues who were out of town. She was done and off we went.  The drive wasn't bad. The walk once we unloaded everything was another thing. We walked several long blocks. I was just glad it was just cold for a coat and gloves.

" Please come in and join us in the backyard. I am Jill Rizzoli.  " " Jill this is my friend and former colleague from Sydney.  " "Its a pleasure to meet you.   The food and beverages are up to you what you choose. Please come in the backyard to get a seat after you serve yourself. My cousin in-law restaurant is doing the catering.  All  beverages are alcohol free."

We went to the backyard and it was huge nicely decorated with several Christmas trees with nutcracker, Disney but most were sports teams of Sacramento.  The interior of the home decorations were Boston Red Sox. Many of the Rizzolis were red sox fans.

We enjoyed our food, beverages and conversations.

"EVERYONE PLEASE LISTEN UP. KONO HAS AN ANNOUNCEMENT TO MAKE BEFORE THE CHILDREN OPEN THEIR GIFTS."  " Thank you Tommy.
This year the money from the entries for the Christmas decorations will be going to widow/ widower funds for the Sacramento Police station. Also everyone please congratulate our newest coroner, Dr. Mary Regan. She was a former coroner in Sydney but took a break like many of us do. This will now help out the sheriff's coroner department which is glad. Of course,  we all will miss her skills as a bomb tech."

Everyone clapped for me. Frank kisses me and the kids go ewww. We all laughed. I thanked Maura and others for financially starting this department up for our community.
Maura says the Isle foundation and a part of SASHALEIGH HIGHTOWER'S MONIES WILL BE PAYING FOR THE UPCOMING YEAR WITH OTHERS MONIES. AFTER THE FISCAL YEAR ENDS, The HIGHTOWER'S properties will be the sole funding source.  She hands Mary a new medical bag with engraved plate with her name on it.

"MARY PLEASE OPEM IT. THE DOCTORS FROM MY CLINIC AND LOLA'S HAVE FILLED YOUR BAG WITH MONIES FOR YOU TO PURCHASE ITEMS FOR YOUR MEDICAL BAG. FRANK TOLD US YOU LOST THE ONE FROM SYDNEY IN YOUR MOVE HERE."  " Wow, thank you. I rather deal with dead bodies than bombs. Sorry children if that grosses you out. "

" Hello my name is Lupe Acosta and director of New Beginnings.  This year Christmas decorations are as the following:
3rd place for 2,500.00 goes to julianne and Ryan Rizzoli.  Second place goes to Jason Stratham of five grand. "

Jason stands up and tells us he is donating his winnings to the women's shelter.  We clapped for him.  Lupe starts talking again.

" First place is 25,000.00 and this goes to Kevin Holloway and Mary Regan.  "

Kevin and Mary are shocked.  They speak to one another for a minute or so. Kevin states their winnings will go to the sheriff's widow/widower fund. People are clapping.

" Everyone since it's is only cold outside let's leave the tents.  If you noticed all the decorated trees have presents for the children and residents of New Beginnings under and along side them.  Our family will call out the names. The toddlers and babies we ask the volunteer who is watching each one to come and get them.  It's okay we will help bring them to you if you ask."

The passing of the presents and opening took over an hour.  Everyone who could helped clean up. We left for our home to get ready to pick up our luggage. We were going to drive to Lake Tahoe before it got late and snowed more.