CHAPTER IX

The illustrious Ved Vyasa, harboring the vast expanse of knowledge, had been cordially summoned to sway my distinguished father's opinion on my consequential union with the mighty Pandavas. Ved Vyasa spoke of a celestial boon bestowed upon me in a previous existence, one that destined me to be wedded to not one, but five husbands. Reluctantly, I consented to this extraordinary alliance. In the woods, little did I know that Dhri, my beloved brother, shadowed our footsteps, utterly appalled by the unforeseen turn of events. Devotedly, he escorted me to the opulent confines of the palace, alongside the companionship of the valiant Pandavas. Dhri, my dearest companion, resolutely refused to witness the obliteration of my future. "What perception shall the people hold of you? Is not death preferable to leading a life devoid of honor? What nonsensical utterances are these, sharing one woman amidst the presence of five men?" he bitterly exclaimed. Nevertheless, his words slowly receded into the depths of peripheral consciousness. A tempestuous tempest brewed within me, my own inner turmoil. The notion of uniting myself with five men would undoubtedly tarnish my esteemed reputation. I could already envision the stones being hurled at me, the venomous slurs echoing in the air. It seemed to defy the very essence of righteousness, the Dharma that my father and brother had insisted upon meticulously instilling within me. Nevertheless, despite the protests that brewed within myself, I recognized that I had no choice but to surrender to the relentless currents of destiny. To resist would only lead to my own demise, as I would be engulfed by the unforgiving waves of fate.

My marriage had been approved and my father had given his consent. I was well aware of the significant political advantages that would come with marrying the valiant Pandavas. The arrival of Krishna for my wedding brought me comfort as he reassured me. "I am scared, Krishna," I confessed, to which my dear friend Krishna responded that this was simply the path that fate had chosen for me; the destiny that the gods had decreed. His presence alone was enough to put my mind at ease, his playful smile bringing me solace. With a gentle smile, he wiped away my tears and assured me that things could be far worse, reminding me that the Pandavas were his own kin, honorable men who would look after me. 

I appeared in a manner far more opulent than I had during my svayamvar. My attire consisted of heavy crimsom and gold silks, adorned with exquisite jewels intricately woven into the fabric. Rare blossoms were elegantly entwined in my lustrous locks, enhancing my allure. Elaborate patterns were meticulously drawn above my brows, accentuating my captivating gaze. If I had believed myself to be regal during my svayamvar, today I exuded a thousandfold more majesty and grandeur.  Gold adorned my hands, feet, neck, wrists, and waist, radiating an aura of opulence. Auspicious motifs were intricately etched onto my hands and feet, further enhancing my irresistible charm. I appeared irresistibly captivating and exuded an immense beauty that was simply mesmerizing said the young woman who had braided my hair. 

 Kunti graced me with her presence, her eyes glistening with tears as she revealed the sacred rules set by Vyasa to ensure the success of our unorthodox relationship. Each passing year, I would be devoted to one brother, starting from the eldest to the youngest, with strict consequences for any interference from another brother during our designated time together. The transgressor would face exile for a period of twelve long years. I was blessed with eternal virginity. After conveying the rules, Kunti settled beside me, her gentle touch caressing my hair in a tender, maternal manner. Her unexpected gesture left me in suprise. She then guided me to my father and siblings, who escorted me to the grand wedding hall. Shikhandhi meticulously adjusted a pleat and repositioned the jewelry before instructing me to carry myself with dignity as I approached the Pandavas. Thus, the solemn rituals commenced, each step solidifying the bond between myself and the illustrious Pandavas. In that moment, we transcended our individuality and became one, a union of six souls forever intertwined in the tapestry of destiny.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you liked this chapter. Please read, vote and comment.