Ominis - Shadows of the Scriptorium

Ominis Gaunt paced restlessly at the final entrance of Salazar Slytherin's Scriptorium, his mind in turmoil. The dank, oppressive air of the underground chamber only amplified his sense of dread. This place, steeped in dark history, was no place for them to be. He turned sharply towards Sebastian, his voice harsh.

"This was a terrible idea, Sebastian! We'll die here! I shouldn't have listened to either of you!"

Sebastian's expression was determined, but there was a flicker of uncertainty in his eyes. "Ominis, we've come this far. The answers we're looking for - for Anne - might be inside. We can't turn back now."

Y/N, their mutual friend, new fifth-year, Gryffindor, troll slayer, Ancient Magic Wielder, and what ever other titled one wished to describer her as, stood between them; her face pale but resolute. She understood the risks, perhaps even more than they did, yet she had chosen to come along, driven by a desire for answers and a sense of loyalty that Ominis both admired and feared.

"We can find another way," Ominis insisted, his voice softening as he turned towards Y/N. "This isn't worth the risk. You don't have to do this."

She gave him a small, reassuring smile, but her eyes were steely with determination. "We need to see this through, Ominis. If casting the torture curse is the only way for us to get out then I'm willing to do it. Together."

Ominis' heart sank. He had hoped she would reconsider, but he knew better than to argue further. Sebastian, meanwhile, was already examining the entrance, searching for the mechanism that would grant them access. It wasn't long before they found the inscription that revealed the cruel requirement to proceed: one of them had to cast the Cruciatus Curse.

The words hung heavy in the air, the weight of them settling like a leaden shroud over the trio. Ominis felt a cold dread coil in his stomach. "This is madness," he murmured. "We can't do this."

Sebastian's jaw clenched. "We have to. It's the only way."

Y/N stepped forward, her voice steady. "I'll do it. I'll take the curse."

"No!" Ominis cried, his hand reaching out as if he could physically stop her. "There has to be another way. This is too dangerous."

But she shook her head. "We don't have time to find another way. I can handle it."

Sebastian raised his wand, his face a mask of conflict. He didn't want to do this, but desperation drove him. "Are you sure, Y/N?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Yes," she replied, her gaze unwavering. "Do it."

Ominis stood frozen, his heart pounding as he sensed Sebastian's wand rise. "Crucio," Sebastian intoned, his voice strong as he cast the unforgivable curse.

The effect was immediate and horrific. Y/N's scream of agony tore through the chamber, echoing off the stone walls. She crumpled to her knees, her body writhing in pain as the curse took hold. Ominis felt a surge of helpless fury. "Sebastian, stop!"

Sebastian's face was pale, his eyes wide with regret, but he couldn't undo what was done. The door to the Scriptorium creaked open, revealing the dark secrets within, but Ominis could only focus on Y/N. He dropped to his knees beside her, his hands trembling as he reached out to her.

"I'm here, Y/N," he whispered, his voice choked with emotion. "I'm here. Just hold on."

She gasped and groaned, her body convulsing with aftershocks of pain. Ominis could feel the tears streaming down his face, his heart breaking for her. He shot a furious glare at Sebastian. "How could you do this to her? How could you bring us here?"

Sebastian looked stricken, guilt etched into his features. "I'm sorry, Ominis. I thought... I thought it was the only way."

"It wasn't worth this," Ominis spat, his voice shaking with anger. "Nothing is worth this."