Chapter 44

☼  Sasha  ☼

Sasha

"Would you like to try on the shoes?" asked the sales assistant in a sickly sweet voice, her smile as fake as those nails which could easily take out an eye.

I was in a boutique on Rodeo Drive. I loved to shop—who didn't? But this place was way too pretentious for me. The moment I walked in, the staff stared at me as if I were about to infect their perfect little world with my mere presence. Maybe it was my yoga pants and vest; clearly, 'athleisure' wasn't part of their vocabulary.

Each one of them stood like statues—or maybe they just had sticks wedged up their asses. Either way, I wasn't too fond of their perceived superiority. Offering assistance almost killed them, and the blonde one who finally did acknowledge me had a voice as frigid as the air conditioning.

"No, thank you," I replied, my tone flat. "I don't like them."

"They're Prada!" she screeched as if I'd personally offended her.

Rolling my eyes, I ignored her shocked face and turned to the full-length mirror reflecting the long silver dress I was wearing. It was Chanel, of course-supremely classy and outrageously sexy. I would reluctantly agree that Helena had good taste. I gave myself another appraising shimmy in the mirror before checking the time, again.

I'd been here for half an hour. She was late.

Huffing loudly, I reminded myself of one of my life rules: make an effort not to hate anyone. Life was too short to waste that much energy on anything or anyone. But Helena, (my mother and trust me I used the term loosely), was testing the durability of that rule.

My phone pinged.

Ah, the woman herself. The message read: Sorry Darling, something came up. I will call later. Ciao.

Was she kidding me?

That was it.

I was done playing this game where everyone apart from me knew the rules. It was answers I needed and if my father was keeping tight-lipped and Helena was a no-show, then I would head over to Jarrod's home and force him to talk even if that meant putting him in a choke-hold, I wasn't leaving until I got some answers.

Shoving my feet into my sneakers, I picked up my pile of clothes and bag and headed out of the changing rooms.

"Miss..." said Miss Snooty hot on my tail. "You need..."

I flipped around with my hair almost whipping her in the face and arching an eyebrow dismissively I asked. "Has the dress been paid for?"

"Yes, but—"

"But nothing. It's mine. And unless you want to wrestle me out of it and lose a nail or maybe a finger or two in the process, then I'm leaving with the dress on."

Her cheeks flushed pink and she drew herself up, clearly indignant. "This is a high-end establishment. We have policies—"

I cut her off, my voice practically frosty. "Your policies don't override the fact that this dress belongs to me now. If you have a problem with that, take it up with someone who cares. Otherwise, I'm leaving."