Chapter 45

☼ Sasha ☼

Sasha

I went to leave, however, the sound of my father's voice had me pausing. He was angry and he'd already vented on Zack's face. 

Maybe leaving them alone wasn't the best idea and I shifted closer and pressed my ear against the hardwood door.

"You do know she's got something going on with Max's kid, Ellis?" my father said, adding. "I caught him sneaking out of here this morning."

"I do," answered Zack.

"And what?" asked my father. "You're okay with that?"

"Yes."

I could almost picture my daddy's face reddening, his eyes twitching. But a smile tugged at my lips when I heard him say, "Fuck. I don't want to know any more, do I?"

I was amazed he hadn't grilled me the second Ellis had left this morning, but he already had enough to deal with, namely, Helena.

"I think that would be wise," agreed Zack.

"You're a fucking wolf, Zack, and Sasha, she a ..."

"A lamb?" 

My dad slammed his glass down. "Yes and too fucking young. Far too fucking sweet for you.  You'll never deserve her." His grumble sounded weary.  "I know it's pointless to tell you to keep your filthy paws off her."

A long pause followed.

My father's voice lowered, taking on a menacing tone as he threatened Zack. "Remember this, and listen very carefully: if you hurt her, I don't care—our relationship will be null and void because I will personally drive a knife into your dead heart and carve you up like a holiday turkey."

Daddy had a way with words, but he thought Zack's heart was dead?

Sure, Zack came across as cold and aloof, and yeah, he'd been a bastard that night, but dead-hearted seemed harsh.

Or maybe I was wishing for something that wasn't there. I wanted to believe, to have faith there was more to him.

"You won't need to," replied Zack. "If I hurt her, I'll hand you the blade myself."

I continued listening, unsurprised when they began talking about Helena and Jarrod. And without realising it, my fingertips wandered to my mouth, gently tapping as I pondered how Zack would handle the situation. I was so deep in thought that I jumped when I heard Zack tell Daddy he was coming to see me. I yanked my head away from the door, hiked up my dress, and quickly hurried to my bedroom.

I jittered on the spot, looking around my room. It was a mess.

Then I huffed.

What did it matter if it was a mess?

I didn't care what he thought of it or me. Liar.

Yeah, okay, I was lying.

It wasn't long before I heard a knock at my door. Huh, he knocked.