Chapter 47

††  Ellis  ††

†† Ellis ††

I sat in the back of the Uber, staring out the window but not really seeing anything. My mind was distracted and restless.

My phone buzzed, pulling me out of my head. A message from my dad lit up the screen: 'I'm at your apartment—where are you?'

What had dragged him out of bed this early on a Sunday and over to see me? 

I quickly typed out a reply. "Is it important? I'm heading over to Sasha's." Technically, I was heading to Zack's where Sasha was, so it wasn't exactly a lie.

My family were aware of my involvement with Sasha as sure enough, last night, my sister messaged me, throwing her weight behind the news with a cheerful 'About time. And by the way, you're totally punching above your weight. Don't fuck it up!'

I knew Sasha was way out of my league and I didn't plan on fucking it up—not in this lifetime.

But still, I didn't know why that would warrant a visit from my Dad, it was usually my mom who handled stuff like that—relationships.

Relationship... my stomach rolled over. 

Did I still have a relationship with Sasha, or had I read it all wrong?

Another message came through from my dad telling me it could wait.

I went back to staring out the window, chewing on my bottom lip as the unease grew arms and legs.

You might be wondering where all this was coming from—the unease.

Well, yesterday, Zack had messaged me saying Sasha was staying over at his place which was code for fucking and then he invited me to come over this morning.

Why hadn't he wanted me there last night?

Why did he want her all to himself?

Not only that, his message ended with: We need to talk.

Which sounded ominous as fuck.

I'd been feeling good about everything until that message. Now, I couldn't shake the feeling that the shit was about to hit the fan. 

I rubbed a hand across my clammy forehead. Maybe I was being irrational, but when I'd tried to call Sasha and then messaged but got no reply, that only fuelled my crazy ideas further.

Had something happened between him and Sasha? Had she forgiven him, and the two of them decided to cut me out?

I thought I'd gotten over the fear of her wanting him more—choosing him over me.

Apparently not, and I tasted blood in my mouth as I bit a little too hard into my lip.

I was a fucking idiot, I should have told her how I felt about her yesterday.