Chapter 31: Back in the Grind

Today was a new day. Izuku yawned as he got up from his messy bed, the mentally aged teen not really putting much thought into how his bed looks as long as it was comfortable to sleep in.

Heading into the bathroom located just out in the hallway, Izuku couldn't help but think back to the end of the battle trials just yesterday.

[][][]

Izuku smirked as he watched the four remaining students trail on in inside the observation room. Katsuki and Momo held their heads high, while Mezo and Sato ducked low. Truly, they were affected by the match more than he thought.

"ALRIGHT, NOW THAT WE'RE ALL HERE AND LISTENING, CAN ANY ONE OF YOU TELL ME WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE HERO TEAM?" All Might looked over the students standing within the room with his lips still forming that one big smile.

Silence greeted him as none of the students - even Izuku since he didn't want to share his observations. Let the children come to their own conclusions - clammed their mouths shut while looking at each other, their eyes communicating the unsaid word the filtered through their heads.

Go on, I have no idea.

Ah, the conundrum every student had within the schooling days where they had no clue as to the answer, and so is ashamed to tell their findings.

"COME NOW CLASS, THERE IS NO SHAME WITH WRONG ANSWERS." As if All Might's word soothed their fears, one of the students, specifically, one who had the penchant for being a stiff, stick in the mud, raised his hand. "YOUNG IIDA, YES?"

"Sir... I may be wrong with my assessment, but from what I saw during the entire exercise, the hero team did no wrong with the limited amount of information they had on hand, as well as their capabilities." Tenya rubbed a finger under his chin, narrowed eyes forming beneath his glasses. "The villain team were just much more prepared than them."

"CORRECT." All Might's affirmation made Tenya, as well as the rest of the class, look at him like he grew a second head. "A LESSON BEST TAUGHT WITHIN CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENTS, IS THAT NOT ALL FIGHTS WILL BE WINNABLE. THESE KINDS OF SCENARIOS ARE RARE, BUT IF YOU EVER FIND YOURSELF IN ONE, THE BEST DECISION IS TO RETREAT AND REGROUP WITH YOUR FELLOW HEROES."

"But wouldn't that mean more... casualties?" Kyoka raised her hand, an anxious look on her face while she twiddled with her ear jack.

"SADLY, THAT IS A FACET OF HERO LIFE THAT A HERO MUST BE READY TO FACE." All Might's smirk lowered slightly. "THERE WERE TIMES WHERE I FOUND MYSELF IN THE SAME SCENARIO WITH NO GOOD END IN SIGHT. A DEPRESSING REALITY."

The air hung thick with anxiety, most of the students looking up at All Might with nervous eyes.

"AT THAT POINT, THE BEST ACTION TO TAKE IS TO REGROUP AND WAIT FOR AN OPPORTUNITY TO ARISE." All Might looked at the four students who just came back from their exercise. "WHICH IS WHY I AWARD THE MVP TO THE VILLAIN TEAM! CONGRATULATIONS."

Even with All Might sudden change of tone, the tension didn't leave the students. Such was heavy revelation revealed to them by the number one hero.

"ANYWAY, THAT CONCLUDES OUR EXERCISE FOR THE DAY. HEAD BACK TO YOUR CLASSROOM AND GATHER YOUR THINGS. AFTER THAT, YOU ARE FREE TO LEAVE." And a moment later, All Might was gone, leaving contemplative students behind in his wake.

[][][]

Izuku spat out the water mixed with toothpaste in his mouth, his pearly whites reflecting off the light as he viewed it in the mirror. He missed dental hygiene - or any kind of hygiene, really - when he was back in Lordran. Do you know how icky he felt every time he spent a prolonged time living in his armor without dying?