CHAPTER NINETEEN - LOVE WILL REMEMBER

For my upcoming short story I will be writing, it will most likely be a Jack Johnson fanfic because he was requested and I think his character would fit the story more. Although, a few people wanted me to choose Shawn. It may be a possibility, but a small one at that.

 It may be a possibility, but a small one at that

NINETEEN

I was backstage, pacing back and forth, nervous as hell for my performance. I wasn't nervous about singing in front of thousands. No, that wasn't it. I had grown accustomed to the lights and the bright eyes. It was like a second home. I was more nervous about seeing Jack again. I couldn't face him.

After Johnson had confronted Jack, I had stayed clear from both of them. I didn't know how to handle them.

On one hand, Jack broke up with Avery and basically told everyone that he still loves me. I mean, he seemed so happy and at ease with her, but I guess I was wrong. I didn't see it coming, but I feel like she did. From the day she talked to me, there was something distant in her eyes. How could a love so right turn out to be so wrong?

But what did I know right?

However, Jack could be lying. He said he loved me once and look where that took us. I was left in a million shattered pieces, a broken heart, and a messed up life. He got out without a scar and a brand new girlfriend right afterward. I didn't trust him. I couldn't let myself trust him. I owed it more to myself to not fall for his contagious smile, lingering eyes, and well, perfect everything.

On the other hand, the way Johnson stood up for me scared me. Sure, it was sweet, but what if it was too sweet? The way he talked about me, didn't seem like the way someone talked about their friend. The way he talked about me—there was something different. His facial expressions were always soft when he mentioned me and his eyes always shone with intense care. It didn't take an expert to help me figure out what it meant. It was a look I knew all too well about. It was all too much. I didn't want him to fall in love with me. I wasn't capable of loving him back.

All week, I had refused to go to the studio with Jack and practice with him. Instead, I managed to convince Adam to let me record on my own time. My excuse was the oldest one in the book: I was sick. I had told Adam that I was a little sick and needed to take care of myself for the live shows. I also told him that it would be best if I didn't practice face-to-face with Jack, considering I might get him sick too, and he wouldn't be able to recover in time. We had rehearsed our song over the phone, but that was all.

Someone tapped my shoulder, and I jumped back, colliding with their front.

"Jumpy now, are we?" A voice chuckled. My whole body went into a state of shock, and I couldn't move. I didn't want to move and face him. I still wasn't ready. "You can't avoid me forever, Ellie."

"I'm doing great actually," I said, my face still facing away from him.

He grabbed my shoulder and squeezed it, making me flinch. "When did you get so uncomfortable under my touch?" He questioned, and I thought he had a bit of a hurt tone in his voice. I was probably overhearing the whole thing though.