Chapter 1

2010年7月24日
Opportunity.
河坊街, 浙江省杭州

I hurried down to our alleyway.

It is flanked on both sides by colorful storefronts with hand-painted signs in Chinese characters.

Fruit vendors called out their prices with their stalls. And the air here? I can smell my home.

Anyways, the bus shook my brain too much. I’m so floating I’ve been stunned here for a while now.

Ahh, I don’t know why there is a closed sign in the store. “Rui?” I call.

It should be open this week?

My concern grew when I noticed that the upstairs window, usually open is now tightly shut.

It was unusual for Rui to keep it closed? especially on a warm evening like this...

I went up the stairs and called there.

I knocked but it was locked? that’s when I got worried.

I went down and tries to ask shops next to us, I catch fear as I wondered where Rui could be!

I approached an elderly fruit vendor, “He was with a man earlier,” he said.

I was even more nervous, Rui wouldn’t just go with anyone.

Dozen of scenario did I think of that boy!

My heart beat fast as I look our street, my eyes flashing between the colorful stalls and throngs of people.

“Yang,” A familiar voice.

Turning around, I saw Yin—he was tall so my eyes saw him first.

There, standing next to Yin, was Rui!

The nervousness suddenly disappeared from my face, “Rui!” relief flooding through me.

Yin smirked, being calm—the opposite of my worries about earlier.

Grinning, he lifted the bag slightly, showcasing the assortment of vegetables inside. “Check it out, Yang.”

“We’ve got everything we need for a delicious Veg Chow Mein tonight.”

I face lit up with delight.

“Let’s go home then.” I said, he nodded.

As we walked through the neighborhood toward our home, I thought about their message...

Rui, his parents are probably coming back so Yin is here.

While the Hun Si’s leader called me earlier to start a mission.

The fun is short lived.

Yin glanced at me, concern furrowing his brow.

“Yang, is everything alright?” Yin asked gently, breaking the silence between us.

I just softy smiled and nodded.

After a long evening, oil lamp cast making shadows on the walls...

Rui finally asleep, lay peacefully in his makeshift bed, a soft blanket spread out on a corner of the floor.

I weary but relieved, it’s good that we can talk.

“How’s life?” I asked to open a topic.

He bowed slightly, I don’t know what he wanted to convey.

He suddenly looked at me and calmly smiled. “I was wondering... how to say it?”