Chapter 8

Present Year

12:20 AM
Beijing, China
05/29

Tiredness weighed heavily on his shoulders, the day’s stress still diving in his mind.

Suddenly, a soft and melodious sound did cut through the loud of the tavern—a lone flute playing a hauntingly beautiful tune.

Yin’s weary eyes widened somewhat as he discerned the familiar, soothing melody.

He turned his head, seeking to discern the source of the music.

Across the room, nigh unto the stage, a minstrel played with effortless grace, his fingers dancing o’er the flute’s keys.

The sound did momentarily transport Yin, stirring memories of times more simple and moments more peaceful.

Still as swiftly as the music had seized his attention, Yin felt a wave of weariness wash over him.

The burden of the day overtook him all at once...

His eyelids drooped, and he slouched slightly upon his bar stool.

The sound of the flute did fill the chamber with its enchanting melody, dancing through the air as though a delicate tapestry of notes.

Each tone was deep but ethereal, carrying a sense of timeless beauty that seemed to limits the peaceful atmosphere of the tavern.

There were tears in his eyes even though he was on his way to REM sleep.

***

1998.

Yingxe nervously glanced at the forest ahead. Yin stood beside him with a grin. “Are you sure about this, Yin?” “Ehh? It’s just trees and animals. Trust me, it’s going to be fun!”

“Fun? You call wandering around where wild animals live fun?”

Yin laughed, “Exactly! It’s thrilling! Besides, think of all the stories we’ll have to tell afterwards. Imagine tracking a deer through these woods.”

***

2011年4月8日
Disappearance.

“Hey, Poxiao Zhi!” A familiar voice called out behind me.

Turning around, I spotted Mei weaving through the dispersing crowd.

“Hi.” I greeted her with a tired smile, after she got closer.

“Don’t you want to talk to me?” her feigned angry expression—she took my arms and walked.

“Is Luhao not there?” I asked and shaken by her pretending to strike.

“That stupid still in the karate club.”

“By the way, where’s your friend?” she suddenly changed the topic, “Yin?” I looked around because of the awkwardness.

She laughed.

“Hey! stop talking with that weird guy. It’s Lisha, I mean. I heard Lisha disappeared!” she said it jokingly but it made me nervous.

“What do you mean?” I frowned.

“You’re so violent! I don’t mean dead, I mean- like leaving?’ I just nooded.

“You know I’m really surprised, I feel like you didn’t receive any punishment.”

I really don’t know, it’s fun to be with Mei...

But she’s just too insensitive?

***

Present Year

03:20 AM
Ascott Beijing
09/29

I was in a beautiful garden—scent of jasmine, leaves of the ancient olive trees.

I’m alone happily running.

As I admired the play of light on the surface...

A voice called out from behind me, breaking the peace I cherished.

“Sakura.” he whispered, a name I had long buried beneath layers of strength.

My heart skipping a beat as if caught in a trap of time.

Turning slowly, I faced an old man eyes whose eyes bore a haunting familiarity. “Sakura” the man repeated softly, his voice trembling with emotion.

My hands were shaking as I tried to calm myself down.

The name, once a symbol of innocence, now echoes the pain of a past. Please stop this nightmare!

The old man’s eyes widened.

I suddenly heard a child screaming, “Monster ka!” (You’re a monster!)

It’s not a good dream, I hope I wake up!!

I covered my ears and was afraid of the old man because he was approaching, I closed my eyes in fear. “AHHH!” loud screeching, from me and who? and who? who’s screaming with me?

Gladly, suddenly changed. I still closed my eyes even the sound transition to a kids laughing, I felt nostalgic.

It’s like they’re playing at home.

Changed suddenly when I heard a scream again,

“Tignan mo, Sakura. Natutuwa ang papa sa’yo...” (Look, Sakura. Papa is happy with you)

“Sakura, mamatay tao ang papa!” (Sakura, our father is a killer!)

“May makapal siyang kutsilyo.” (He has a thick knife.)

“Tignan mo sa kabinet niya, kapag tulog na siya.” (Look in his cabinet, when he sleeps.)

I don’t understand the language I hear but in the voice, the child’s voice is familiar.

I opened my eyes but it was a different room.

I see a kid approaches the sleeping old man holding a thing knife. “No, don’t!” I stopped her. The girl looked. The old man awaken, they both looked at me. Their eyes widened.

It’s scary! I screamed! AAHHH

“Sakura, bakit?” (Sakura, why?)

Sakura, bakit?
Bakit, Sakura?
Sakura, bakit?

Bakit, Sakura?
Sakura, bakit?
Bakit, Sakura?

Sakura, bakit?
Bakit, Sakura?
Sakura, bakit?

Bakit, Sakura?
Sakura, bakit?
Bakit, Sakura?

My body jerked as I jolted awake, tears streaming down my cheeks.

The remnants of a vivid nightmare grasped to me, a haunting echo of past traumas.

Yin stirred beside me, immediately sensing my distress.

With a tender touch, he brushed aside my tangled hair and whispered softly, “Shh, I’m here.”

But I couldn’t shake off the fear that had gripped me.

I buried my face into his shoulder, my sobs muffled against his skin.

He stroked my hair with tender fingers, the touch light and comforting. He pressed a gentle kiss to my forehead. “You’re safe.”