Chapter 19

Punishment

Losing the absence of sight, my world was a dark canvas, every path shrouded in mystery, guided only by the touch of unfamiliar hands.

The feel hung heavy and motionless, carrying the sweet smell of old wood and damp stone. The feel whispered secrets of forgotten prayers and silent despair.

Our footsteps echoed softly, betraying the vast emptiness around me.

I felt like a puppet, with two guides holding my strings, directing my steps as we journeyed forward.

Kyrie, Eleison
Kyrie, Eleison~
Kyrie, Eleison

Kyrie, Eleison
Kyrie, Eleison~
Kyrie, Eleison

The gentle strains of Kyrie Eleison echoed softly through the room.

I closed my eyes—even so, it is still dark.

The beautiful chant washes over me. Kyrie, Eleison~

The music seemed to transport me from the world outside, enveloping me in a cocoon of silence.

As the choir’s voices rose and fell in ethereal harmony, I felt herself drifting into a peaceful sanity.

The repetitive melody and the purity of the vocals acted like a soothing lullaby, easing the tension from my body and quieting my restless mind.

I was cocooned in a different realm, where only the music existed.

With each verse of “Kyrie, Eleison” my thoughts slowing until they melted into the music itself.

The chant became a distant echo, a part of her dreamscape where time seemed suspended and worries faded into insignificance.

As the final notes of the chant dancing in the air, Poxiao’s head nodded gently forward, her eyelids fluttering shut. She surrendered fully to sleep, cradled by the peaceful melody that continued to play softly in the background, a guardian of her dreams through the night.

Levi’s Diary.

“My childhood? I frequently get physically assaulted by gangs for my money.”

“Hey! That’s mine, please!" I pleaded. Laughter erupted from the gang.

Levi, Levi Glory. That’s when he learned that anyone has the ability to take what is not his.

He became a naughty boy.

My eyes catch an old beggar, my little fingers reached into the container of the old man who sat with his eyes closed.

“Thank you...” old man said, but seeing that my behavior was strange, the old man shouted, “Thief!”

The boy, Levi—ran fast.

“My old name was also Levi, Levi Glory. I thrived on risk, even as a toddler swiping coins from beggars to gamble.”

Levi looked at the dice cup with fascination. The tavern was full of laughter and clinking mugs, but Levi was focused on the game playing on a wooden table. An old man with a gray beard and a weather-beaten face played a serious game of dice with another patron.

I, hiding behind barrels, swaps dice with the old man but fails when the old man’s roll wins. “You still have much to discover about the game.”

“I want to be a doctor... for me, in my village, doctors are saviors, they are always needed.

I want to see people begging me to treat their loved ones.

However, I was hired by someone who owns a karate school where I work as a cleaner.

I observe Sensei Akio closely and learn from him, which has helped me become stronger.”

“Matthew Chapter 9, Verse 7, And he arose, and departed to his house. But when the multitudes saw it, they marvelled, and glorified God, which had given such power unto men.

Verse 8, But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.

Verse 9, And as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose, and followed him.

Verse 10, And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.”

After deciding to follow Jesus, Levi’s name was changed to Matthew.

Genesis chapter 1, verse 1 “On angynne gesceop God heofenan and eorðan.”