Chapter 9

Yan Liu.

“You know, Lisha, I’m not good either.” Yan Liu said, trying to comfort her.

Lisha’s response was tinged with annoyance. “Shouldn’t you be offering comforting words when someone is sad? Just be sincere. You are good!” She stood up abruptly, clearly irritated.

Yan Liu reached out to hold her, but Lisha pulled away forcefully. “Let go!” she yelled, kicking out at him.

Yan Liu dodged her kicks with practiced ease. “Almost got me there.”

Lisha continued to lash out with kicks and punches, using techniques she had learned in karate classes. “What are you even doing?” Lisha was bewildered by Yan Liu’s fluid movements, because his hand was no longer a snake.

“You’ve never seen this before?” Yan Liu’s hands moved swiftly, demonstrating a series of defensive blocks and strikes.

“Huh?” Lisha muttered in confusion. “Gun, Lisha, run!” Yan Liu suddenly shouted urgently, “Ratatatatat!” mimicking the sound of gunfire.

“You’re insane.” Lisha said, finally stopping her barrage of attacks.

***

2006年12月2日
Lisha.

At the front, Master Tao, a seasoned martial arts instructor, stands beside Poxiao, a focused and disciplined woman.

Lisha and Wei watches from the sidelines, Wei complete obsessed by Poxiao’s skill.

“Did you see that kick?” you can see in Mei’s eyes and smile how she loves Poxiao so much.

Master Tao continues to demonstrate a series of intricate karate moves with Poxiao.

His movements are smooth yet flowing, seeing his practice for years or even half of his life.

“Look at how she moves. It’s like she’s in complete control of her body.” Lisa forced herself to smile as Mei complimented Poxiao.

Poxiao executes a powerful kick, her form impeccable.

She lands softly, a composed expression on her face, radiating confidence and determination.

Lisha couldn’t help but feel a flow of insecurity.

She admired her belts, especially Yin and Xiao who are already high-ranking black belts that seemed so far ahead of her own. Yet, beneath that envy, she was bursting with pride.

Until, Lisha had just overheard Yin and Xiao excitedly discussing their new adventure in taekwondo.

They were already high-ranking black belts in karate, and now they were pursuing another martial art.

Her heart slightly broke as she listened, a wave of sadness washing over her. Insecurity at her, making her question her own progress.

She had worked so hard to reach her current rank, and still it felt like she was far behind compared to her friends.

She tried to hide her feelings behind a forced smile. She managed to say, “Good luck, Xiao.” her voice betraying a hint of disappointment she couldn’t quite conceal.

***

Lisha sat quietly by the riverbank, the gentle murmur of flowing water soothing her troubled thoughts.

Just as she began to relax, a sudden someone threw a stone at her. “Ah, fuck!” she stood up with an annoyed face. “You stupid!” Li Yuo said.

“Fuck you!” in the words she said it was replaced by understanding because Li Yuo’s look is strange, he seems to need her.

“Is Poxiao your friend?”