Chapter 45

For Rui.

Yin.

“Can I ask Araya a question first?” the hunter itself asked his client, Agent Mikko.

“Sure, Yin. Why not?” Mikko replied, the two walked on, with Mikko leading the way to Araya’s room.

“For the case, I’ll record your conversation.”

Yin nodded in agreement.

“Your companion is dead, so I can only question you,” Yin said. Araya remained silent, her head bowed.

“Do you know Rui?” Yin asked.

Araya stayed silent, so Yin decided to pull out a photo from his jacket. He took Rui’s picture from his wallet, which also showed Yang, so he covered Yang with his finger.

Araya did not deny it. “Oh, him. I see his head at an auction last month. It’s been a while.”

“An auction?” Yin asked in surprise.

“That kid was worthless, but he was sold to us because he wrote a novel about Tao.” Yin recalled Yang’s story about the Headless Dragon auction and their unusual activities.

Yin’s face remained expressionless to avoid arousing suspicion from Mikko.

“So, you mean he was killed because of the novel?” Yin asked.

“Yes, but not by us,” Araya quickly replied.

Yin wondered whether to trust this woman.

It means someone is imitating the methods of the Headless Dragon and they aren’t really the Headless Dragon.

Yin decided not to question her, thinking that Mikko might uncover a significant connection.

***

Present Time.
Ascott Beijing

Yang.

“Do you miss Hangzhou?” Yin asked Yang, who was sitting, sipping coffee, and listening to music.

“I miss the place, and I miss the person who made me whole again, Yin,” Yang replied, referring to Rui, who had rebuilt her.

Yin removed his jacket, saying, “I just came from my client. I learned something about Araya.”

“Really? What is it?” Yang asked, sounding sad and dejected. Yin sat down next to him on the sofa.

Yin arched his back to see Yang’s face, which was resting on the table.

“Rui was only bought at an auction. They weren’t the ones who actually killed him,” Yin said.

“Should I be happy because there’s a new lead?” Yang stood up in frustration. “Yang, no. We’re close to bringing justice for Rui’s killer.”

“Why is this happening?” Yang yelled, “Why is it all just about revenge? Do you know what Rui’s parents told me? Just leave it to fate or give it to God. Yin, I don’t know what to do anymore.”

Flashback.

I am hired to care for Rui and manage the store. Oh this boy, Rui, a bright-eyed boy of seven, arranging the items, again.

“I want to fight using your Kung Fu, Yang. I want to knockout all!” he said.

“Well, it’s not just about fighting, Rui. It’s about balance and discipline.”

Rui’s eyes widened with excitement. “Please teach me or show me some!”

Rui grew up with me, not with his parents. His father was diagnosed in the city and is recovering there, while his mother works there to look after him. That’s why it was a big opportunity for me to be entrusted with Rui’s care.

2010年7月24日, I remember when Rui’s parents talked to Yin about taking him with her, coinciding with Sensei Takashi invitation to school. And the Hun Si had an offer, there... the peaceful days here began to darken.

Later, I heard the news—he had passed away. However, he left me his novels. The boy had a weak body but found solace in his novels, using them as a way to be strong.

I still can’t understand why they dragged the innocent child into all of this?

Now, Yang doth know not what justice is. She is left but with sorrow over squandered chances and lives lost. She feels as though she too hath faded away.