Chapter Seventy-Three

Katniss POV-

Peeta doesn't say anything back, but tears stream down my cheeks.

I'm just ready for this to be over.

"Ma'am, Doctor Coles needs to speak to you." A nurse interrupts us.

Peeta helps me sit up and I wipe away my tears, hoping I don't sound upset but I know that I do.

They bring me a phone.

(On the phone with Doctor Coles)

"Hello?" I ask softly.

"Katniss? Sweetie, how are you feeling?" She asks.

"My contractions stopped I think but they said I dilated more and I still don't feel very good, I'm just really confused about this all."

"Okay, you need to make a choice. Do you want us to break your water so you can have her now or do you want us to continue trying to control the labor for as long as possible?"

I hold my breath a second, "Can I talk to Peeta about it for a minute?"

"Of course. Just remember that if she's born early she's going to be okay, she will just be in the hospital until about the time she was due. If you try and wait, it may end up the same way. We can try to control it all but it's whatever your body is wanting to do."

I look at Peeta and see how worried he is.

"Do we want to have her today?" I ask him.

"What happens if we have her now?" He asks softly.

"She will be in the hospital until February." I tell him.

He frowns, "I don't think we could take that." He says.

"We want to wait as long as possible." I tell Dr. Coles into the phone.

"Okay, sweetie. I'm coming up there to check on you as soon as possible."

"Okay." I say.

"Just get some rest and relax."

"I'll try." I tell her.

She sighs, "It's going to be okay. I'm going to try to figure it all out. I don't want any visitors except Peeta, so you can rest."

"Okay."

"I'll be there soon."

"Okay, thanks."

"You're welcome." She says and I hand the phone to the nurses and they shut the light out and lock the door.

Peeta just sits there quietly and I lay back down.

"I need you to call Finnick and Annie and tell them there's no more visitors." I mumble.

He calls and tells them and apologizes for earlier then he crawls in the bed next to me, facing me.

"It'll all be over soon." He whispers and leans forward, kissing my forehead and pushing some lose strands of hair out of my eyes.

"I know it will be." I mutter back.

We just stare at one another for a long time and he caresses my face.

I smile sadly at him.

"What are we going to do?" I ask him softly.

"Just hope for the best but you and I need to stick together." He whispers back.

I nod my head and push my head into his chest and he rubs tiny circles in my skin.

I calm down at lot by the time that
Dr. Coles comes in an hour later.