Chapter 46

Himani shook her head, looking down. As soon as she did, Sumedh didn't hesitate to slap her hard. "Nalayak kahi ke sab ke sab," he spat.

Her eyes welled up with tears, and a red mark appeared on her cheek where his fingers had struck."M... maine sach mein assignment ki thi, sir," she said in a low tone.

"Haan, kari hogi... but use saath bhi lana tha college mein," Sumedh retorted.

"Laayi thi, sir," she insisted.

"Shut up. Bandh karo apni bakwas," Sumedh barked, walking angrily towards his chair and sitting down.

Everyone in the class looked at him, then at her. The tension in the room was palpable."Isko kyu punishment nahi di? Ek hi thappad mein ho gaya?" someone whispered. Himani kept her gaze down, a tear falling from her eye.

"Sir, isko punishment nahi milegi?" Priya, who had previously accused her of stealing money, asked with a hint of malice.

Sumedh looked at Priya and narrowed his eyebrows. "Now, you will tell me what I have to do? You will teach me my work?"

"But sir... aapne kal bhi ise kuch nahi kaha when she stole my money," Priya said defiantly.

"Acha... tum hi ho?" Sumedh rested his arms on the table. "Homework complete hai?"

"Yes sir," she said confidently.

"Lekar aao," Sumedh ordered.

"Ji," she replied, quickly retrieving her notebook and bringing it to him.

Sumedh removed the cap from his pen and opened her notebook. He started checking her work, circling errors as he found them.He pointed to one of the circled errors. "Ye... aise sikhaya tha maine?"

Priya stared at the notebook, unable to respond.Sumedh set down the pen, then grabbed her ear and twisted it. "Haan? Itne clearly itni baar samjhane ke baad bhi itni mistakes? Dhyaan padhai par lagayo... kisko punish kiya... kisko nahi... in sab par nahi. Samjh aayi baat?"

"Ahhh... yes sir... sorry,"Priya winced, pain and embarrassment evident on her face.

"Chalo... tum bhi murga ban jao inn dono ke saath... aur baaki sab homework notebook nikalo," Sumedh said sternly while standing up.

"M... murga?" Priya asked in shock.

"Yes," he replied casually, then turned to Himani. "Homework notebook hai?"He asked while walking towards her place.

"Yes sir,"Himani said in a low voice, taking out her notebook.While the homework wasn't fully complete, the questions she had done were all correct.

"Dikhao," he told her, then turned back to Priya. "Abhi bhi khadi ho tum?"

"Sir please... I'm sorry," Priya said, sobbing.

Sumedh ignored her and continued checking Himani's notebook. "Aage kaha hai?"

"S...sir, wo... ho nahi paa rha tha... t... tabiyat kharab thi," Himani said in a low voice.

"Tum college aati hi kyu ho?" Sumedh said, his frustration evident. He kept one hand on the table and another on his waist. "Assignment notebook hai nahi... homework tumhara complete nahi hai... itni mehnat karke college aakar classes attend karne ka kya matlab? Attendance chahiye bas? To bata do... kyu apna aur mera time waste kar rahi ho tum." His tone was taunting and frustrated. Though his anger wasn't particularly directed at her, she bore the brunt of his overall frustration.