Chapter Twenty-nine

Ella's heart pounded in her chest as she fled the ballroom, her vision blurred by unshed tears

Ella's heart pounded in her chest as she fled the ballroom, her vision blurred by unshed tears. The whispers and judgmental glances followed her, echoing in her mind like a relentless chorus. The cool night air hit her face, but it did little to calm her racing thoughts. She dashed through the garden, her steps uneven, until she found a secluded spot behind a tall hedge.

She sank to the ground, hugging her knees to her chest. The darkness of the garden wrapped around her, a stark contrast to the bright and oppressive ballroom. Her breath came in short gasps, the weight of her embarrassment and anxiety pressing down on her. The voices continued to echo in her mind, each one a sharp blade cutting into her self-worth.

"Ella, did you see how the Duke defended her? It's obvious they're involved."

"She'll never be accepted, not after this. Her reputation is beyond repair."

"Poor Duke, getting mixed up with someone like her."

Tears streamed down her cheeks as she buried her face in her hands. She felt exposed and vulnerable, every cruel word amplifying her deepest fears. Her heart ached, and she wished desperately to disappear, to escape the suffocating scrutiny.

In the distance, she heard her name being called. Her parents, Adrian, and Grace were searching for her, their voices laced with worry. She clenched her fists, trying to block out the sounds, but the cold night air made her shiver, and she couldn't ignore the physical discomfort.

"Ella! Ella, where are you?" Adrian's voice was closer now, filled with concern and frustration.

She stayed silent, not trusting her voice to remain steady. How could she face them after causing such a scene? How could she explain the depth of her humiliation and anxiety?

"Ella, please come out," Grace called softly, her voice a soothing balm. "We're worried about you."

The night grew colder, and Ella's shivering became more pronounced. She hugged herself tighter, trying to preserve what little warmth she had left. Just when she thought she couldn't bear it any longer, she felt a heavy coat land on her shoulders. She looked up, startled, and her eyes met the Duke's piercing blue gaze.

Jeremy knelt beside her, his face etched with concern. "Ella," he said softly, his voice steady and comforting. "You shouldn't be out here in the cold."

She tried to look away, but his presence was grounding. "I needed to get away," she whispered, her voice trembling.

"I understand," Jeremy replied, adjusting the coat around her shoulders to ensure she was warm. "But you don't have to face this alone."

Her eyes filled with tears again, and she shook her head. "You shouldn't be seen with me. It will only make things worse for you."

Jeremy's expression hardened with determination. "I don't care about what others think. I care about you, Ella. You don't deserve to be treated this way."