043

“Hang on, hang on—oh, shit,” Soobin curses, grabbing his phone. He puts it on speakerphone immediately. “Taehyun? Hey. Is everything okay?”

“Yeah, everything’s fine. I was at the police station all day yesterday,” Taehyun says without so much as a greeting. Yeonjun’s heart nearly stops. “They let Daeul go. They had no choice. But I’m working with Mingyu and the detectives and everyone here to get an arrest warrant. There’s enough circumstantial evidence to arrest him. Everyone knows it.”

“You know he won’t react very well to that,” Soobin says, chewing his bottom lip.

“Of course he won’t. He’ll kick and scream, and all the better. I have footage of him slapping Yeonjun across the face,” Taehyun says, and Soobin doesn’t even react. Taehyun must have told him what happened. “Not just security footage, either. I have footage from my phone.”

“Wait, what? How?” Yeonjun interrupts without thinking. There’s a very loud pause as Soobin pinches the bridge of his nose. Yeonjun clears his throat awkwardly in the silence.

“Soobin,” Taehyun says sweetly.

“Yes,” Soobin replies.

“Would you like to explain why Choi Yeonjun’s voice is coming through your phone?”

“Uh… No,” Soobin says decisively. “Next question.”

“Are you two together right now? Seriously?” Taehyun hisses, and Yeonjun curls up in a ball, trying not to laugh. “For Christ’s sake. Uh, Yeonjun, when you went out into the lobby, I filmed it all through a nice little crack in the door because I didn’t want you to be without evidence. Thank fuck I did. Now I can use that if I need it. But what the fuck are you doing with Soobin right now?”

“Sleeping over?” Yeonjun says with an upward inflection as Soobin snickers. “I’m single.”

“Uh,” Soobin says loudly, and Taehyun groans as Yeonjun fights back his laughter. “What he means, is that yesterday he came over as a single man. And that’s really all you need to know.”

“You two are a fucking walking, talking liability, I swear to God,” Taehyun complains.

“Is there anything I need to be doing?” Yeonjun asks.

“No. KHK is probably blowing your phone up or trying to do damage control right now, but Mingyu spoke with that son of a bitch who heads the legal team and basically said that you want nothing except space and privacy right now and that any contact can be made through him. So we bought you maybe a day or two of time, because Lord only knows they’ll come back for you. Daeul and his team will come for you, too. They already tried to get an arrest warrant on you, Soobin. They failed, but they tried.”

“So what do we do?” Soobin asks. “What the fuck is our next step? Where do we go from here?”

“Taehyun.” Yeonjun takes a deep breath and grabs Soobin’s wrist to bring the phone closer. “Taehyunnie.”

“You call me that when you want something,” Taehyun remembers. “It’s been years, Choi Yeonjun, but I know all your tricks.”

Yeonjun smiles. “Yeah, good. Because you’re going to need to know them all for what I’m about to say.”

“Which is?” Taehyun sounds wary, but if he’s the immortal cockroach Soobin says he is, then Yeonjun's newly hatched plan shouldn’t be a surprise.

“I need out. Immediately,” Yeonjun declares. “I need out of my contract with KHK. I want to break it. I only have two months left before I need to re-sign, and I want out.”