045

“Effective immediately, I’ll be terminating my contract with KHK. When I walk out of this building today, I’ll be a free agent. And you can bet your ass that all of you will be subpoenaed in the near future. And all of you will be hit with a lawsuit, because you enabled this to happen to me. You let Lee Daeul get away with leaking my sex tape out of spite and took bribes from him and his awful family at my expense. You lied to my face for weeks to protect my abuser instead of protecting me because my suffering benefited your pockets. So my contract is terminated. I’ll pay for the losses. I don’t give a damn. But I’m finished here. Someone bring me the paperwork to sign, because I’ve had enough."

"And fuck all of you.” he adds.

Yeonjun shoves his chair back, his chest feeling tight, and his chair hits the wall as he heads straight for the door. He hears footsteps behind him, but then he hears Mingyu’s voice speaking and addressing the table. Once he’s in the hallway, Yeonjun turns and presses his palm against the wall, bent at the waist as he takes a deep breath.

“Hey. Hey, it’s okay.” Taehyun sets his hand on Yeonjun’s back and rubs. “You did well. You were great. I’m sorry you had to hear it all like that. I wish I’d been able to do it a different way, but we just didn’t have time to take you through it all.”

“I know,” Yeonjun whispers, eyes closed. “I know what you said before, I—fuck. Fuck. What…? What did they do to me? What did they do to me?”

“What they did was find you, target you, and use your pre-planned relationship with Daeul for power and financial gain,” Taehyun replies. “We have dozens of receipts, Yeonjun. Collusion, bribery, the works. My P.I. has videos and pictures that are so damning that it’s embarrassing. Once we get mobile phone records, it’s over. We have evidence of Daeul’s father paying people off at KHK. We have evidence of Daeul’s mother paying people for their silence because Daeul was cheating on you and there were witnesses. Now we can talk about the legal cases we can bring to the court.”

“You…” Yeonjun swallows heavily, trying to keep his world from spinning beneath his feet. “You said… to trust you blindly.”

“And did I deliver?” Taehyun asks. Yeonjun nods.

“I don’t… I just…”

“It’s time for you to get your fucking life back, Yeonjun,” Taehyun declares. “Daeul leaking yours and Soobin’s sex tape was just the tip of the iceberg. He thought that he was doing something sneaky to benefit him and to keep you tied to him. He thought that by destroying your career, he could have you all to himself forever. But he underestimated Soobin.”

“He underestimated you,” Yeonjun emphasizes, but Taehyun shakes his head.

“No, Yeonjun. I’m just the attorney. Lee Daeul underestimated—” He reaches down and takes a hold of Yeonjun’s wrist, sliding down towards Yeonjun’s pinky finger and holding it up to Yeonjun’s line of sight so they can both see the red string of fate tattoo. “This.”

Yeonjun clenches his jaw, the burning sensation in his chest growing stronger as he forces the tears down despite his blurry vision. Taehyun gives Yeonjun’s hand one final shake, and then he drops it.

“I know you’re exhausted. We all are. Soobin pretends he’s fine, but he’s on the fucking edge,” Taehyun says. “But I need you to dig deep and find some fight in you, because we’re not done. If you want Daeul to pay for what he did to you, then I need you to find it in you, Yeonjun. And I need Soobin to do the same. We’re not just trying to salvage both of your careers. We’re trying to salvage your relationship with each other.”

The one palm Yeonjun has pressed against the wall turns into a fist. He uses the fist to push away, and then he sets his hands on his hips with his head bowed, taking a deep breath as he nods.