Chapter 21 - Hidden Threat

The briny wind carried the scent of the sea as Alice and Theresia sat on the cottage balcony, their gaze fixed on the breathtaking panorama of the island. The sun, a fiery orb sinking towards the horizon, painted the sky in hues of orange and purple, a mesmerizing spectacle marking the end of their idyllic escape. As they embraced the beauty of the moment, the realization that it was their last day on the island added a bittersweet tinge to their joint encounter.

""Love, did you enjoy staying here? We could extend our stay if you want," Alice asked, her head resting comfortably on Theresia's lap. A gentle smile played on Theresia's lips as she looked down at Alice, her fingers gently tracing the curve of her cheek.

"Staying here has been the best time of my life, but I have to go back to Manila. My family must be worried, and I have important work to do as a lawyer," Theresia replied, her voice laced with a hint of sadness. She gently ran her fingers through alice's hair.

"But it's only August 14. Can't we stay just one more day?" Alice pleaded.

"Today is August 14? Oh no, Ralph is leaving today to go back to Canada. We won't see each other for three months. I didn't even get to say goodbye. He'll surely be upset," Theresia said, a shadow of worry clouding her features.

"Kaibigan mo lang ba talaga yun? Why does it seem like you two are so close and sweet to each other?" Alice asked, her tone laced with a hint of jealousy. She sat up, her eyes fixed on Theresia, seeking an explanation.

"Here we go again. I've told you he's just a friend. Can't friends be sweet to each other? You and your ex are still sweet to each other too. Binibisita ka nga sa office mo with flowers," Theresia replied firmly, her voice laced with a touch of irritation.

"Why did it end up on me?" Alice asked, "Her voice subtly infused with a touch of defensiveness

"You started it. Ralph and I are just friends, while donya is your former girlfriend, and yet you're still friends. Magkaiba yun, Alice. You're annoying. You've ruined my mood, Theresia said, her voice hardening as she rose from the balcony, leaving Alice alone with her thought.

"napaka short-tempered naman nun, kasalanan ko na naman." Alice muttered to herself.

Theresia's Pov:
She seems jealous, she's already my girlfriend. I'd be an idiot to look for someone else.

Buti nalang cute siya, nakakairita nga lang madalas. I mused to myself.

Perhaps I should just review these legal documents for the upcoming hearing, and I might ruin my day again because of this annoying mayor.

------------------------------------------------------

Alice stood on the seashore, tossing pebbles into the water, her frustration bubbling over like the waves crashing against the shore. She looked like a child throwing a tantrum, her shoulders slumped with a mix of anger.

"Siya nga 'tong sinisingit si Ralph sa topic, alam naman niyang naiirita ako sa lalaking 'yun," Alice muttered, her voice tight with frustration.

"Mayora, ginagawa mo d'yan, na-prepare ko na 'yung mga ingredients, sabi mo ikaw magluluto, 'di ba," Ate Gie said.

"Mayoraa, nakikinig ka ba?"

"Oo na, andyan na, ma'am. Nakakahiya naman sa inyo," Alice said in a tone that seemed to be sulking.

"Ano'ng nangyari dun, sinusumpong na naman," Ate Gie said, trying not to burst out laughing.

(scene in the kitchen)