Chapter 18 - Abduction

Theresia
Earlier today, I received the schedule for the second hearing about the mayor's case. If only I had a choice, I would prefer to step away from this case and resign as her lawyer. However, in the absence of Attorney Cruz, I feel obligated to continue representing her. While I find it challenging to interact with her, I understand the importance of our client-lawyer relationship. She relies on my expertise, and I am committed to fulfilling my responsibilities towards her. A successful outcome in this case is crucial for upholding the reputation of our law firm.

I find it difficult to face her or even listen to her voice, but I don't have a choice; I need to schedule a meeting with her. It's crucial for us to prepare our statement for the upcoming hearing, which is just a few weeks away. As her lawyer, it's my responsibility to ensure that she is fully prepared and informed about the proceedings.

Alice
I was attending the grand opening of Jollibee in our town when I received a call from Attorney Theresia.

"Good morning, Mayor. Where are you? Wait for me in your office; I need to discuss something important with you."

Before, she wouldn't end the call without saying 'I love you,' but now she's all legal matters and formality., as if we never had any special relationship.

Never mind, the important thing is I am about to see her." After the event, I immediately left. While I was driving, I was coming up with a plan. I'm sure that after the meeting, she will leave, and it will take days to see her again.

It only took me half an hour to arrive at the office. I was still far away, but I could already smell her presence.

"Hi attorney, I'm sorry I just came from the grand opening," I said as I moved closer to her, expecting a kiss like she used to do. However, she just sat there, acting unbothered.

"It's okay, kakarating ko lang din," she replied, her focus on the documents she was reading.

"What are we going to discuss?" I asked.

The hearing is already scheduled. It's a few weeks from now. It's better if we prepare our statements early. This way, we will be familiar and ready for it. She replied.

She spoke to me without making eye contact, and it made me feel sad. I wasn't used to her acting distant towards me. I couldn't focus on what she was saying; I was quite distracted, staring at her. How could she look effortlessly beautiful all the time? The way her hands moved, the way she touched her hair, and her attractive lips when she spoke.

Theresia
There's a sharp intensity in her gaze as she looks at me from head to toe. I find it hard to focus on what I'm saying with the way she's looking at me. It makes me feel uncomfortable. The way she sits in her swivel chair, her hand on her chin, she seems to be scanning me. What could be this woman thinking?"

She appears to not be listening as well. I have to remind her that this is serious, and I need her full attention.

Alice, please listen to me. We need to set aside our personal issues as they could potentially affect the outcome of the case. It's crucial to separate our personal conflicts from the legal proceedings. As your lawyer, I must ensure that we focus on preparing a strong defense and presenting our case effectively. I can't do my job properly when you're like this. I'm asking for your cooperation.

I understand, attorney," she responded in a mild manner.

Thank you, mayor, I replied, proceeding to elaborate on some legal pointers to her.

Our conversation was quite interrupted as ate gie entered her office.

Mukhang seryoso ang pinag-uusapan niyo ah, kape muna kayo.