The move

TW: Cancer and death

Based on a true story

In her next therapy session, Charlotte settled into the familiar chair, feeling a mix of anticipation and apprehension. The previous sessions had unearthed memories she hadn't touched in years, and while it had been difficult, it also felt like a necessary step toward healing. Today, she was ready to dive deeper into another chapter of her past.

Dr. Peterson, her therapist, waited patiently, her expression open and encouraging. "So, Charlotte," she began gently, "where would you like to start today?"

Charlotte took a deep breath, organizing her thoughts. "I've been thinking a lot about what happened after my parents' divorce. It was two years later, when I was about nine, and things were still hard. But then my mom got a new job, and we moved to the beach—the same beach where we used to go on holiday when things were better."

Dr. Peterson nodded, noting the significance. "How did you feel about moving to the beach? Was it a positive change for you?"

"It was a mix of emotions," Charlotte admitted, her voice tinged with both nostalgia and sadness. "On one hand, it was comforting to be somewhere that held good memories. I remembered our family vacations there, the times before everything fell apart. But on the other hand, it was a constant reminder of what we'd lost. The beach wasn't the same without my dad, and the memories felt bittersweet."

Dr. Peterson leaned in slightly. "That must have been difficult—being surrounded by memories that were once joyful but now carried a sense of loss. How did you cope with that?"

Charlotte sighed, thinking back to those days. "I think I tried to focus on the good things. Just before my mom was supposed to start her new job, the company she was going to work for shut down. She was left without a job, and we were stuck in this new place, trying to figure out what to do."

Dr. Peterson nodded, her expression filled with empathy. "That must have been incredibly difficult for your family. How did that affect you?"

Charlotte sighed, her thoughts drifting back to that uncertain time. "It was really hard. We had just uprooted our lives, thinking this move would be a fresh start, but instead, we were faced with even more uncertainty. My mom was so stressed, trying to figure out how we were going to make ends meet. For six months, she was out of work, and it put a strain on everything."

She paused, her voice softening as she continued. "My grandparents ended up moving in with us to help out. They were a huge support, but it also added another layer of stress. Our little house by the beach was crowded, and it felt like we were all just trying to survive day by day."

Dr. Peterson listened attentively, allowing Charlotte the space to express her emotions. "How did that impact your relationship with your mom and your grandparents during that time?"

"I think we all tried to hold it together as best we could," Charlotte replied, her voice tinged with both gratitude and sadness. "My mom was under so much pressure, but she did her best to keep things normal for me and Steph. My grandparents were amazing—they helped with everything from cooking to taking us to school. But I could tell they were worried too, especially about my mom. It was like we were all walking on eggshells, trying not to let the stress get to us."

She hesitated, then added, "I think it made me grow up a lot faster. I became really aware of how fragile things were, and how easily everything could fall apart. That was a tough lesson to learn at nine years old."

Dr. Peterson's gaze was soft, understanding the weight of what Charlotte was sharing. "It sounds like this period of your life was marked by a lot of uncertainty and anxiety, but also by resilience. You were surrounded by people who loved you and were doing their best to support each other, even in difficult circumstances."