Honesty

TW: descusion of self harm

Based on a true story

In her next therapy session, Charlotte sat across from her therapist, the familiar room offering a sense of safety and introspection. The conversation quickly turned to the fallout she had with Marjorie and how it had impacted her emotionally.

Charlotte began, her voice steady but filled with underlying tension. "I want to talk about what happened with Marjorie. After our argument, I realized it reminded me a lot of the fights I used to have with my mother."

Her therapist nodded encouragingly, prompting her to continue. "Can you tell me more about how it felt similar?"

Charlotte took a deep breath, her eyes reflecting a mixture of frustration and vulnerability. "The confrontation with Marjorie was intense. She was angry and confrontational, and I felt cornered like my feelings and choices were being judged without any real understanding. It brought back memories of how my mother would react when I tried to express myself or make decisions she didn't agree with."

Her therapist leaned forward slightly, listening intently. "What was it about the argument with your mother that felt similar?"

Charlotte's gaze drifted as she recalled the past. "Whenever I had a disagreement with my mom, she would get really upset and defensive. It was like there was no room for my perspective or feelings. She'd accuse me of being rebellious or ungrateful, and it made me feel like I had to defend myself constantly, even when I was just trying to be honest."

Her therapist nodded in understanding. "So, it sounds like the argument with Marjorie triggered those old feelings of defensiveness and conflict from your childhood."

Charlotte nodded, her expression pained. "Exactly. Even though Marjorie and I were just having a heated discussion, it felt like I was back in those arguments with my mom. I felt attacked and misunderstood, and I couldn't seem to find a way to make things right."

Her therapist reflected on Charlotte's words. "It's understandable that those old patterns would resurface. It's a sign that unresolved issues from your past can influence how you react to current conflicts. What do you think you need to do to address these feelings?"

Charlotte sighed, feeling the weight of the realization. "I need to work on recognizing when I'm reacting out of old patterns. It's important for me to separate those past conflicts from the present and to approach situations with a clearer mind. I also need to find ways to communicate more effectively, so I don't get caught up in the same defensive reactions."

Her therapist nodded approvingly. "That's a valuable insight. Working on separating past experiences from current situations can help you manage your reactions better. It might also be helpful to practice assertive communication techniques and to explore any lingering feelings about your relationship with your mother."

Charlotte nodded, feeling a sense of resolve. "I think that's a good idea. I want to move forward without letting my past dictate how I handle conflicts now."

As the session progressed, Charlotte's therapist gently guided the conversation toward a more sensitive topic.

"Charlotte," the therapist began, her tone both careful and compassionate, "I want to ask you something important. Given the intensity of the argument with Marjorie and how it reminded you of past conflicts with your mother, did it trigger any thoughts or urges related to old habits, like self-harming?"

Charlotte's face tightened, and she looked down, her fingers fidgeting with the edge of her sweater. The question seemed to hit a raw nerve, and she took a moment to gather her thoughts before responding.