Heartbreak

TW mentions of death.

Charlotte walks into Marjorie's office, a bright smile on her face, ready to catch up with her friend. She stops in her tracks as soon as she steps through the doorway. Marjorie is sitting behind her desk, phone pressed to her ear, her expression sombre. Tears glisten in her eyes, and her hand trembles slightly as she holds the phone.

Concern floods Charlotte's chest. She stands there silently, not wanting to interrupt, but the tension in the air is palpable. Something's wrong—terribly wrong.

"I understand," Marjorie says quietly into the phone, her voice breaking ever so slightly. "Thank you for letting us know."

As soon as she hangs up, Marjorie exhales shakily, wiping at the corners of her eyes. Charlotte steps forward, her heart racing with worry.

"Marjorie? What happened? Are you okay?" she asks softly, coming around the desk to kneel beside her friend.

Marjorie looks down at her, struggling to hold back fresh tears. She takes a deep breath before speaking, her voice barely above a whisper.

"One of the toddlers... Jemma... her parents..." Marjorie's voice cracks, and she pauses for a moment to gather herself. "They were in a car crash this morning, right after they dropped her off here."

Charlotte's heart sinks, and she covers her mouth in shock, her mind racing. "Oh no... are they...?"

Marjorie nods, fresh tears spilling over. "They didn't make it, Char. Both of them... gone."

For a moment, neither of them speaks. The weight of the tragedy settles heavily between them, the heartbreak almost too much to bear. Charlotte feels tears welling up in her own eyes as she thinks of little Jemma, the sweet, smiling girl who had no idea her life had just been shattered.

"What about Jemma?" Charlotte finally asks, her voice trembling. "What's going to happen to her?"

Marjorie wipes her eyes again, her face etched with sadness. "She's going into foster care, at least for now. Social services have already been notified."

Charlotte's heart breaks for the little girl, imagining how confused and lost she must feel. "That poor baby," she whispers, shaking her head. "She doesn't even know..."

Marjorie sniffles, nodding. "She's only three, Charlotte. She's so young, and now she's going to grow up without her parents."

Charlotte reaches out, placing her hand over Marjorie's in a comforting gesture. "Is there anything we can do? Anything at all?"

Marjorie shakes her head. "Not right now. We just have to be there for her, for as long as she's still with us at the nursery. It's all we can do."

Charlotte nods, feeling a deep sadness settle over her. The thought of Jemma—so full of life and innocence—now facing such a harsh and cruel reality, is unbearable. "We'll take care of her, Marjorie. We'll make sure she feels loved."

Marjorie squeezes Charlotte's hand, her expression softening a little. "I know we will. It's just... it's hard. I can't believe they're gone."

Charlotte stays kneeling beside Marjorie for a while longer, her own heart heavy with grief. She knows they'll have to be strong for Jemma, but right now, it's hard not to feel overwhelmed by the sheer unfairness of it all.

After a few moments of silence, Charlotte stands and pulls Marjorie into a tight embrace. "We'll get through this together," she says softly, holding her friend close. "We'll make sure Jemma's taken care of, no matter what."

Marjorie nods against Charlotte's shoulder, grateful for her presence, but the sadness lingers. Neither of them can shake the feeling of loss, knowing that a little girl's world has been turned upside down in the blink of an eye.