Inspector

The day of the inspection finally arrives, and the air in the house feels thick with nervous energy. Charlotte and Mia have spent the morning cleaning up and double-checking every last detail. They sit at the kitchen table, both fidgeting—Mia taps her foot lightly against the floor, while Charlotte absentmindedly twirls a strand of her hair. Neither of them speaks much; the weight of the day is pressing down on them both.

When the doorbell rings, Charlotte jumps, her heart leaping into her throat. "That's her," she whispers, glancing at Mia.

Mia gives her a small, reassuring smile, though Charlotte can see the tension in her eyes too. "We've got this."

They walk to the door together, hand in hand, and open it to find the inspector standing there. She's a warm, middle-aged woman with kind eyes and a soft smile that immediately eases some of their nerves.

"Hello, I'm Mrs. Latham," the inspector says, extending her hand. "You must be Charlotte and Mia."

"That's us," Mia says, shaking her hand. "Please, come in."

Mrs. Latham steps inside, glancing around the house with an appraising, but gentle eye. "You have a lovely home," she says as she looks around.

"Thank you," Charlotte replies, her voice a little shaky. She and Mia exchange a glance, both trying to read the inspector's expressions.

As Mrs. Latham begins her inspection, she moves from room to room, asking them a few questions about their home and lifestyle. They show her the nursery, freshly arranged and glowing with soft lighting, and the living room, which is clutter-free and welcoming.

Charlotte keeps wringing her hands together, silently worrying over every little thing. Did they miss something? Was the crib set up right? What if the inspector finds something wrong?

But Mrs. Latham doesn't seem hurried or overly critical. She takes her time, offering little nods of approval as she moves through the space. When they finish the tour, they sit down together in the living room. Charlotte's heart races as she waits for the inspector's feedback.

"Well," Mrs. Latham begins, clasping her hands in her lap, "I have to say, everything looks wonderful. Your home is safe, comfortable, and filled with love, which is exactly what Jemma needs right now."

Charlotte lets out a breath she didn't realize she was holding, and Mia squeezes her hand.

"You've done an excellent job preparing for her," Mrs. Latham continues, her tone reassuring. "I can tell how much thought and care you've put into making sure she'll be happy and safe here. It's clear you're both ready for this responsibility."

"Thank you," Charlotte says, her voice thick with emotion.

Mia adds, "We just want to give her the best home possible."

Mrs. Latham smiles warmly. "I can see that. Of course, there are a few more steps in the process, but based on what I've seen today, I don't foresee any issues. You're on track to become Jemma's foster parents."

Charlotte feels a wave of relief washes over her. They aren't finished yet, but they're so close, and knowing that they've done everything right so far makes her heart swell. She looks over at Mia, who smiles back at her, eyes sparkling with hope.

"Thank you so much," Mia says, standing up to shake Mrs. Latham's hand again. "We really appreciate you taking the time to come out today."

"It's my pleasure," Mrs. Latham replies, gathering her things. "I'll be in touch with you soon, but I think everything is looking very promising. You both take care, and I'll let you know the next steps shortly."