The last one

Based on a true story

For the one who is the Mia to my Charlotte, I love you

In Charlotte's next therapy session, she found herself sitting across from Dr. Peterson, her fingers playing with the engagement ring on her hand. It felt like a strange comfort, this little piece of jewellery that represented so much more than a commitment. It was a promise, a future, something she once thought she'd never feel safe with again. As she settled into her chair, Dr. Peterson looked at her with that familiar, gentle curiosity.

"How are you feeling today, Charlotte?"

Charlotte sighed, taking a deep breath before speaking. "It's... a lot," she admitted, glancing down at the ring. "I've been thinking about the wedding. I thought I'd be more nervous than I was last time, but it's different."

Dr. Peterson nodded, encouraging her to continue. "How is it different for you this time?"

Charlotte paused, her thoughts swirling as she tried to find the right words to explain what she felt in her heart. "When I was with my ex-husband, the idea of getting married... it terrified me," she confessed. "It felt like this huge, suffocating thing. I hated every moment of planning it, even the idea of being his wife. It just... it never felt right. It felt like I was forcing myself into a mould I didn't fit, and I was too scared to admit it to myself."

Dr. Peterson leaned forward slightly, her expression soft with understanding. "What do you think made it feel that way?"

Charlotte closed her eyes for a moment, trying to recall the feelings from that time. "He made everything feel small. He'd make comments about how I looked, how I acted, even about my friends. He always had something to say about what I liked or what I wanted. And I let him. I got rid of my nose ring for him. I loved that nose ring, it made me feel like myself, but he said it looked trashy. So, I took it out."

Her voice wavered, and Dr. Peterson gave her space to gather herself. "I never got the tattoos I wanted. He said spending money on tattoos or travelling was stupid, a waste. So, I stayed in this tiny box he put me in, never really getting to explore who I was. He made fun of the music I liked, the shows I watched... it all chipped away at me until I didn't recognize myself anymore."

Dr. Peterson waited for her to continue. "And I knew, deep down, that marrying him was wrong. I was never excited. I dreaded the wedding day, the vows, all of it. I think, if I'm honest with myself, I didn't believe I deserved more. I didn't believe I could have something better."

"And now?" Dr. Peterson asked gently. "How do you feel about marrying Mia?"

At the mention of Mia's name, a small, soft smile spread across Charlotte's face. "It's the opposite with Mia," she said, her voice quiet but sure. "Everything about marrying her feels right. Safe. It's not just about the wedding; it's about the life we're building. When I think about standing in front of her, making those vows... it feels like the most natural thing in the world. Like it's exactly where I'm supposed to be."

She paused, her thumb rubbing over the smooth surface of the ring again. "With her, I don't feel small or trapped. I don't feel like I have to change who I am to make her happy. She loves me as I am, fully. I've never had that before."

Dr. Peterson smiled warmly. "It sounds like you feel safe with Mia."

"I do," Charlotte agreed. "She makes me feel safe in a way I didn't think was possible. Even when we're going through hard things—like Jemma, or the miscarriage, or my worries about the future—it still feels like we're in it together. She never makes me feel like my fears or insecurities are something to hide. She helps me work through them."