Brother

Oh hey look... a happy therapy chapter

Based on a true story

Charlotte sat back in the plush chair of Dr. Peterson's office, her fingers nervously tapping the armrest. The memory of her sister's wedding swirled in her mind, and after a moment of silence, she began to speak again.

"I remember that day so clearly," Charlotte said, her voice steady at first, but with an edge of emotion. "It was one of those picture-perfect beach weddings—the sun was just about to set, casting this golden glow over everything. My sister, Steph, was glowing. She looked like a goddess in her dress, and Jake, her husband, couldn't take his eyes off her."

She smiled softly as the memory unfolded. "Jake was great. I mean, he wasn't just the perfect guy for Steph, he was like a brother to me. From the first time they started dating, he always treated me like family, not just the annoying little sister tagging along. We had this bond. He'd help me with my homework, and gave me advice—silly things like dealing with school bullies or boys or girls I had a crush on. He made me feel seen. He was one of the first people I told I was bisexual, besides Steph."

Dr. Peterson nodded, leaning in slightly. "And how did it feel to have that kind of connection, especially given the absence of your father?"

"It was... different. Jake kind of filled a gap I didn't even know was there. I mean, I knew my dad had left, and I was hurt by it, but with Jake, it was like someone actually wanted to be there for me. He was supportive in a way I hadn't really experienced before." Charlotte's voice wavered a little, the memories tugging at her heart.

Dr. Peterson noticed the shift and asked softly, "What about your parents? You mentioned they hadn't seen each other in seven years before that wedding. How was that for you?"

Charlotte sighed, leaning forward and running her fingers through her hair as she remembered the awkwardness of the day. "It was... surreal, to be honest. They hadn't been in the same room since the divorce. The last memory I had of them together was when we came home from our grandparents' house, and Dad was packing his bags while Mom was crying. Seeing them at the wedding, years later, was like watching two strangers interact."

Her voice softened. "They were polite, almost too polite like they were walking on eggshells around each other. It wasn't hostile or angry—just awkward, you know? My dad made small talk and asked about Mom's job, and she asked him how work was going. It was the most uncomfortable conversation I'd ever witnessed. But there was no yelling, no fighting. And I guess I was relieved about that, but it was strange, watching them pretend like everything was fine for Steph's sake."

Dr. Peterson took a deep breath before asking, "Did seeing them together, even in that awkwardness, stir up any feelings for you? Did it bring back any of the hurt from their separation?"

Charlotte paused, biting her lip as she thought. "Yeah, I guess it did. It reminded me of everything we lost, everything that changed. It's weird, but in some way, I kept hoping—maybe not consciously—that seeing them together would make me feel like things could go back to the way they were before. But it didn't. It just reinforced that our family wasn't the same, and it never would be."

Her voice grew quieter. "It was like watching two people who used to love each other but had nothing left between them. They were just there for my sister, not because they wanted to reconnect or even be friends. It made me realize that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't fix what was broken."

Dr. Peterson nodded thoughtfully. "It sounds like it was a moment of clarity for you. Did it make you feel a sense of finality about your family situation?"