Girlfriend

After weeks of shared glances, flirtations, and stolen kisses, Mia decided it was time to make things official. She planned a special date for Charlotte, wanting it to be a night they would both remember.

On the evening of the date, Mia picked Charlotte up from her apartment. Charlotte, still a little nervous, couldn't help but smile when she saw Mia. The two of them had grown so close, and despite all the uncertainties, Charlotte felt safe with her.

Mia drove them to a cosy, intimate restaurant by the waterfront. It was a place that Charlotte had never been to before, with soft lighting and a warm atmosphere that made her feel at ease. They were seated at a table near the window, with a view of the water sparkling under the moonlight.

Throughout the evening, they talked and laughed, the conversation flowing effortlessly. Mia made sure to keep the mood light, knowing how much Charlotte had been through recently. They reminisced about their time at the nursery and shared stories about their lives, and slowly but surely, the tension that had been building between them over the past few weeks began to melt away.

After dinner, Mia suggested a walk along the waterfront. The night air was cool and refreshing, and the sound of the waves gently lapping against the shore created a peaceful backdrop. As they strolled hand in hand, Mia stopped and turned to Charlotte, her expression serious but soft.

"Charlotte," Mia began, her voice steady but filled with emotion, "I know things have been a little crazy for both of us lately. And I know we've been taking our time, figuring out where we stand. But... I can't keep dancing around it anymore."

Charlotte looked at her, her heart beating a little faster. "What do you mean?"

Mia took a deep breath, her thumb gently caressing Charlotte's hand. "I mean, I care about you. A lot. And I want to be with you—not just as someone you flirt with or have almost moments with. I want to be your girlfriend, Charlotte."

For a moment, Charlotte was speechless. She had been hoping for this, but hearing Mia say the words out loud made it feel real in a way she hadn't expected. Her eyes softened, and a smile slowly spread across her face.

"You really want that?" Charlotte asked, her voice a little shaky with emotion.

Mia nodded, her gaze never leaving Charlotte's. "I do. I want us to be together, for real. No more hiding, no more pretending. Just you and me, figuring this out together."

Charlotte felt a rush of warmth flood through her. After everything she had been through—her troubled childhood, her divorce, and her struggles with self-worth—Mia's words felt like a lifeline, a chance to start anew.

"I want that too, Mia," Charlotte said softly. "I want to be with you."

Mia's smile widened, and she pulled Charlotte into a gentle embrace. They stood there for a moment, holding each other under the moonlit sky, the world around them fading away. When they finally pulled back, Mia leaned in, and this time, Charlotte didn't pull away. Their lips met in a soft, tender kiss that felt like a promise of everything to come.

When they finally broke apart, both of them were smiling, their hearts lighter than they had been in a long time.

"So," Mia said with a playful grin, "does that mean you're my girlfriend now?"

Charlotte laughed, her heart swelling with happiness. "Yes, Mia. I'm your girlfriend."

They walked back to the car, hand in hand, both of them knowing that this was just the beginning of something beautiful. For the first time in a long while, Charlotte felt like she was exactly where she was meant to be.