Home

As Charlotte was finally cleared to go home, the weight of the ordeal seemed to settle heavily on her shoulders. The police had arrested the man responsible for the assault, but the knowledge did little to alleviate the trauma she felt. The sense of violation lingered like a shadow over her life, and no amount of legal action could undo the damage that had been done.

Mia, who had been a constant pillar of support through this harrowing time, carefully helped Charlotte into the car. They drove back to Charlotte's apartment in a quiet, sombre mood. The drive was filled with the hum of the engine and the occasional soft murmur of Mia, trying to offer comforting words. Charlotte sat quietly beside her, her gaze fixed out the window, lost in her thoughts.

When they finally arrived at Charlotte's apartment, Mia helped her inside. Charlotte moved slowly, her steps heavy with exhaustion and emotional weight. The apartment, once a place of comfort, now felt alien and cold. It was as if the space itself was a constant reminder of everything she had been through.

Mia made sure Charlotte was settled on the couch with a blanket and a cup of tea. She moved around the apartment, picking up a few things and making the place as comfortable as possible. The small, caring gestures were meant to offer a sense of normalcy, but Mia could see the deep fatigue in Charlotte's eyes.

As the evening drew on, Mia prepared to leave, sensing that Charlotte needed some time alone to process everything. She went to Charlotte's side, gently brushing a strand of hair from her face.

"I'll let you rest," Mia said softly. "I'll check in tomorrow. If you need anything, just call me."

Charlotte looked up at Mia, her eyes filled with a mixture of gratitude and despair. She had been trying to hold it together, to appear strong, but now, with the weight of everything finally catching up to her, she felt her resolve slipping.

"Mia..." Charlotte's voice was barely a whisper, trembling with emotion. "Please... don't go."

Mia's heart ached at the sight of Charlotte's vulnerability. She sat down beside her on the couch, taking Charlotte's hand in hers.

"Are you sure?" Mia asked gently. 

Charlotte nodded, tears welling up in her eyes. "I can't be alone right now. I'm... I'm scared."

Without hesitation, Mia nodded and settled in beside her. She could see the depth of Charlotte's pain, the way her body seemed to curl in on itself, seeking comfort. Mia wrapped her arms around Charlotte, holding her close. The warmth of her embrace was a small solace against the coldness that had taken hold of Charlotte's heart.

"I'm here," Mia murmured. "I'm not going anywhere."

Charlotte clung to Mia, her tears finally falling freely. She buried her face against Mia's shoulder, her sobs muffled by the fabric of Mia's shirt. The release of emotions was overwhelming, and Mia held her tightly, offering all the comfort and support she could.

As the night went on, Mia stayed close, whispering soothing words and stroking Charlotte's hair. They eventually moved to the bed, where Mia stayed by Charlotte's side, holding her as they both drifted into a restless sleep.

The night was long and filled with quiet moments of shared grief and comfort. Mia didn't try to fix anything—she simply remained there, a steadfast presence, offering a sense of safety and love in the midst of Charlotte's turmoil.

The following morning, the sun filtered softly through the curtains, casting a gentle light on the room. Charlotte woke up feeling slightly more rested, though the pain was still very much present. She looked over at Mia, who was still beside her, her presence a reminder of the support she had.