Mommy and Mama

I sobbed while writing this, do with that what you will... maybe grab a tissue.

It was a quiet Saturday morning, the kind of peaceful day Charlotte had come to treasure. Jemma sat cross-legged on the living room floor, her crayons scattered around her as she drew with intense focus. Mia was in the kitchen, humming softly as she stirred the pot on the stove and made lunch. Charlotte was folding laundry on the couch, occasionally glancing over at Jemma with a smile.

As she folded the last of the clothes, Charlotte caught sight of Jemma out of the corner of her eye. She was standing in front of her now, silent, her small hands clutching a piece of paper tightly.

"Hey, sweetheart," Charlotte said gently, setting the laundry aside. "What do you have there?"

Jemma smiled shyly, her big eyes shining as she handed over the drawing. "I made this for you," she whispered.

Charlotte took the paper, her breath catching as she looked at the picture. It was simple but full of heart. Three figures stood in the middle, holding hands—a child with wavy hair between two taller figures. The one on the left had red hair like Mia, and the one on the right had dark hair, just like Charlotte. Above them, Jemma had written in uneven letters, "My Family."

Charlotte's throat tightened. "Jemma... this is beautiful," she said, her voice soft, full of emotion.

Jemma stood there, her eyes searching Charlotte's face as if looking for approval. Then, with a small, brave step forward, she whispered something that sent a wave of warmth through Charlotte's entire being.

"Mommy, do you like it?"

The word hit Charlotte like a gentle but powerful wave. Mommy. Her heart seemed to swell in her chest, and for a moment, she couldn't speak. Tears welled in her eyes as she knelt down, bringing herself level with Jemma.

"Mommy," Jemma repeated, her small voice filled with innocence and love. "Do you like it?"

Charlotte blinked back tears, her hands trembling slightly as she reached out, pulling Jemma into a gentle hug. "I love it," she whispered, her voice thick with emotion. "I love it so much, Jemma."

Jemma hugged her back, clinging tightly to her as if she had been waiting for this moment to happen for a long time. Charlotte held her just as tightly, feeling the weight of that single word settle over her in the most beautiful way.

Mia, who had been watching from the kitchen doorway, quietly walked over, her own eyes misty as she knelt beside them. "What's going on over here?" she asked softly, though she already knew.

Jemma looked up from Charlotte's shoulder, beaming. "I drew us," she said proudly, showing Mia the picture. 

Mia's smile deepened, and she reached out, brushing Jemma's hair lovingly. "That's the most beautiful picture I've ever seen," she said, her voice gentle but full of emotion.

The three of them stayed there for a moment, huddled together on the floor, the air between them filled with quiet joy. As Charlotte looked down at Jemma's drawing again, she felt something settle deep inside her—a sense of belonging, of love, of family.

This was their family, and no matter what challenges came their way, they would face them together.

Jemma pulled away from Charlotte, still smiling brightly, and turned to Mia, her small hands holding the drawing out carefully. "Mama, can you put it on the fridge?" she asked, her voice sweet and innocent as if the word "Mama" was the most natural thing in the world to her.

Mia blinked, momentarily stunned. Her eyes softened as the word sank in, and she knelt down to Jemma's level, looking into her eyes with a tenderness that made Charlotte's heart swell even more. "Mama?" Mia repeated softly, almost in disbelief.