Missing them

Maybe grab some tissues... I'm sobbing

During Charlotte's next therapy session, she brought Jemma along for the first time. It wasn't an easy decision—Charlotte had worried about how Jemma might react in such a setting, especially since it would involve discussing her feelings about her late parents. But Jemma had been asking more questions lately, and Charlotte felt it was important for her to express her emotions in a safe environment.

As they walked into Dr. Peterson's office, Jemma clung to Charlotte's hand, her usual bright energy subdued. Charlotte could feel the nervousness in her little girl, so she knelt down to look Jemma in the eyes.

"Hey, it's okay. We're just going to talk with Dr. Peterson. She's really nice, I promise," Charlotte said softly, tucking a strand of Jemma's hair behind her ear.

Jemma nodded, though she stayed close to Charlotte as they walked inside. Dr. Peterson greeted them both warmly, her kind smile immediately putting Charlotte at ease.

"Hi, Jemma," Dr. Peterson said in a gentle tone. "I'm Dr. Peterson. I'm so glad you could come today. You can sit anywhere you like."

Jemma looked around the room and hesitated for a moment before choosing a chair next to Charlotte. She sat down and fiddled with the hem of her shirt, unsure of what to expect. Charlotte settled into her usual spot, giving Jemma's hand a reassuring squeeze.

"So, Jemma," Dr. Peterson began after a moment, "your mommy Charlotte told me a little about how things have been for you. I heard you've been missing your mommy and daddy a lot."

Jemma nodded slowly, her eyes downcast. "I miss them every day," she whispered. "But... but I'm happy with Mommy and Mama."

Charlotte's heart ached to hear the sadness in Jemma's voice, but she was proud of her for being so open. She reached over and gently rubbed Jemma's back, encouraging her to continue if she wanted to.

Dr. Peterson leaned in slightly, keeping her voice soft and inviting. "That must be really hard, missing your mommy and daddy. It's okay to feel sad and happy at the same time. Can you tell me a little more about how you feel?"

Jemma glanced up at Charlotte, seeking her approval. Charlotte gave her a gentle nod, and Jemma took a deep breath.

"I miss them," Jemma repeated, her small voice steadying. "But I like living with Mommy and Mama. They make me feel safe."

Dr. Peterson smiled kindly. "That's really special. It sounds like Mommy and Mama take very good care of you."

Jemma's face brightened a little at that. "They do. They play with me, and Mama makes the best pancakes. And... and Mommy is always there when I'm scared at night. She reads me stories."

Charlotte blinked back tears, feeling her throat tighten. Hearing Jemma say these things was both heartwarming and heartbreaking, knowing how much this little girl had gone through and how far she'd come.

"And how does that make you feel, Jemma?" Dr. Peterson asked, her tone as soothing as ever. "Having a new Mommy and Mama?"

Jemma was quiet for a moment, thinking it over. Then she looked up at Charlotte, her eyes wide with a mixture of sadness and hope. "I'm happy. But... I feel bad sometimes. Because... because I still miss my other mommy and daddy. Is that okay?"

Charlotte's heart clenched as she listened to her daughter's honest confession. She wanted nothing more than to take away Jemma's pain, but she knew this was part of the healing process.

Dr. Peterson smiled warmly at Jemma, her eyes soft with understanding. "It's more than okay, Jemma. You can love your mommy and daddy who aren't here anymore and still love Mommy and Mama. It's like having a big heart with lots of room for love."