2.9

{Luke}.

"Things like this do happen, despite most people's knowledge. I'm sure you know the briefs of a comatose state?" The doctor questions us to which we all nod in response. "Nowadays whenever someone is in a coma in a tv show for example, the way the patient wakes up is rather sudden. One minute they're deeply asleep, the next, they're awake and talking. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that." He continued explaining. I nodded in deep focus, digesting all the news and trying to understand everything.

"You see, when a patient wakes up, generally they are unable to focus their eyes on one particular thing, which may look as though they are staring off into space for a while; this can be caused from either the trauma or the medicine. You'll also find that they may be incapable to respond to you. Comas are a very hard concept to explain. People have been able to interact, even walk around before slipping back into further unconsciousness. It may seem like they have awoken, but in some cases, they haven't really at all."

I dropped my head down, nodding slowly and sighing deeply in exhaustion. "A test we are running on Calum at the moment is The Glasgow Coma Scale. What this is, is checking three types of responses: eye opening, motor responses - being movement, and verbal responses. You'll be pleased to know that Calum's state has seemed to improve and the result from the scans show some improvement. However, you still have to be prepared for the worst. You never know what could happen."

I lifted my head upwards, feeling the weight in my chest sink allowing me to breathe easier. Ashton and Michael were the same, a hopeful smile meeting the corner of Ashton's lips as the doctor dismissed us. Relieved, we all made our way to Calum's room where Delilah was still sleeping by his side, her head resting by his torso amid all the wires and tubes poking in and out of him.

As much as she needed her rest, I knew that sleep wasn't doing all that much for her as the horrid memories of Calum's state still haunted her in her dreams. I promised to wake her if we heard any news so I did just that, slowly shaking her shoulders causing her eyes to flutter open. She smiled tiredly up at me as she stretched her arms out in front of her, batting her eyelids together sleepily.

"Morning." She faintly mumbled, Michael and Ashton repeating to her as they each took a seat near Calum. "We come bearing news." Ashton spoke up, his voice cheerful causing Delilah to sit up straighter, eyes darting around at us as she waited for one of us to explain.

"We just had a discussion with Calum's doctor." Ashton began, Delilah noticeably tensing up in her seat. He paused for a minute, giving her a reassuring nod. "They said he's improved. Delilah, he might wake up."

-

{Delilah}.

My heart managed to skip a few beats, the way it once did whenever I saw Calum walk out on stage. I didn't know what to do or how to feel. Of course, I had been desperate to hear those words, craving the sweet sound of Calum's voice if he woke up, but it came to mind that I never actually expected to hear them again.

I looked at each of them, hopeful smiles on their tired faces, their eyes dry of tears as mine felt the opposite. I didn't want to seem anything but relieved as I knew that was what they were expecting, but my lips began to tremble and I couldn't help the tears from falling from my eyes as I grew more and more overwhelmed by the second.

"Hey, hey. It's alright. This is good news." Luke spoke calmly, sitting down beside me and resting his hand on my knee to show support. I tried to respond to him, to tell him that I really was happy, but I only managed to choke out an outcasted sob, my hand flying up over my mouth.

He looked to the boys with empathy in his eyes before pulling me into him as my tears soaked his shirt. They nodded understandingly, each showing grace as I explained to them that I was just so overwhelmed.

"It's no problem, Del. Just focus on Calum , yeah? He'll get you through this. We all will, together."

-

Sorry there was no update yesterday, I was busy lol.

I hope you like this chapter! I literally have done so much research regarding comas to try and make my story more real and emotional. I don't think you're gonna like me for what's going to happen. awxhemmings reckons you'll feel so frustrated when reading it, but in the good way?

Tell me what you want to see happen, and it can be with anyone, not just Del.

45+ comments for the next chapter. > I do appreciate it, but rather than just commenting 'fwnsbgh' to count as a comment, please actually say something about the book. Anything, please! It does make me laugh though.