Chapter 16

Chapter 16

~Jacey~

The next day, I hesitantly walk into school.

I really didn't want to go, but my parents-mostly my dad-are still mad about the whole detention crap.

They just don't get it. No one does.

As I walk to my locker, I try to stay clear of any of my ex-friends, but I fail when Katie, Cindy, and Michelle bounce to me.

"Jacey! Where've you been!?" Katie asks.

I furrow my eyebrows. Um...didn't they hate me? I thought Katie was mad at me.

"Um, home?" My answer comes out more like a question. "Aren't you guys mad at me?" I ask bluntly.

"Nope! Blake explained everything!" Michelle says.

I raise an eyebrow. Blake?

"Ok, well um..." Am I really going to befriend them again? I mean they are girls...I don't think they're going to be fighting over me any time soon.

"Guess what!? Blake and I are going out again!"

Katie's voice snaps me out of my thoughts, and I stare at her clear blue eyes.

Really? That douchebag has no shame, has he?

I take a deep breath.

I don't care. I dont care.

Yes you do, because you-

"No I don't!" I shout, stomping my foot.

I immediately cover my mouth and squeeze my eyes shut as I realize I just screamed that out loud.

I peek through one eye to see the girls staring at me with bewildered expressions.

"I-uh-hehe. I was just...sorry." I duck my head and start to walk to History.

Damn. Jake will be there. And so will Jonas. And Ethan.

Argh! Of course none of my girl friends will be there!

As I walk into class, I see Jake and his friends huddled in a corner.

Praying that they won't see me, I hide behind a curtain of my hair and look down, shuffling quickly to my seat.

"Jacey!"

Ignore. Shuffle. Ignore.

"Jacey! Over here!"

Ignore. Shuffle. Ig-

"Jacey!"

I stop in my tracks and look up to see Ethan waving to me like an idiot.

I gulp.

Just ignore them, Jacey.

I look at the clock to see I still have 10 minutes to kill before the bell rings.

I glance at Jake for a second to see him staring-well more like squinting-at me with an unreadable expression on his face.

I quickly look away when our eyes meet and scurry out of the room. Looking down, I bump into the last person I really wanted to see today.

God, do you hate me? What did I do in my past life that gave me such bad luck?

I look up at Blake.

His face brightens when he sees me. "Jacey! Where have you been!? I've texted, called, waited, everything! You didn't even respond!"

Not being able to bear it anymore, I push past him and brisk walk away.