Chapter 41

Blake

I chuckle awkwardly, not really sure how to react to the news. "Wha...what do you mean she's...missing?"

Mrs. Monroe starts to full out bawl, and I'm not really sure if I should help Mr. Monroe in consulting her. But then again, I am still in a towel...

"We went to wake her up for school, thinking she was late; but she wasn't there," Mr. Monroe explains. "And now that I think about it, when she went for a walk last night...I really don't remember her...coming back." His voice breaks at the end, and a lump forms in my throat.

"Wait...what walk?" I ask, confused. Last thing I remember Jacey was asleep in my arms on the couch.

"She said she needed some air, so she said she was going to take a walk. We thought she would be back soon and so we went to bed. We fell into such a deep sleep I guess we didn't even realize we didn't hear the door when she came back." Mr. Monroe looks down, ashamed.

I want to consult him - both of them - but I'm really at a loss. I have no idea what to say or how to feel. The only thing running through my mind right now is how stupid I have been. 

I hear sirens approaching the house, and that's when I realize. 

"My phone! Where's my phone? I need my phone!" I run upstairs and trash my room; looking under every piece of clothing, throwing the blankets and sheets on my bed, flipping all the pillows. But I can't seem to find it anywhere. 

I slump down with my head in my hands. I need my phone. It has the texts in it and I have to show the police.

The sirens cut off as they park in front of the house. I curse. I have to get out of here. If Jacey is with who I think she's with, then there's no time to write up a police report. I have to try looking for her myself.

I dress myself and grab my coat and keys, passing the police and the Monroes. "Excuse me, sir, we need to question you about the events prior to the time she left the house," one of the officers calls after me. As I slip on my shoes, I turn my head. "We were watching TV, fell asleep, and that's all I remember." And with that, I walk out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have no idea where to start. I don't really know what I was expecting - to find a trail of her scent or something, I don't even know. But there has to be some clue left behind. I refuse to believe that I can't find her.

I try to think of "the events prior to the time she left the house", but I only draw up a blank slate. What could have happened that made Jacey want to leave? And where could she have gone in a town she barely knows?

I decide to drive around the place we've been with before, but I find nothing, which I guess was expected. I came here with no clues, no hints, no nothing. I'm no detective. I need to stop taking matters into my own hands and leave it to the police.

But I can't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After driving around the same places about 5 times, I finally decide to give it a rest. I bet the police have found more than I have.

Not wanting to go home just yet, I drive to a nearby café for some coffee and food, considering breakfast wasn't a go at home.

In the café, there was a small TV in the corner with the news playing about a car found near the town line. I sip the coffee I ordered and watch the coverage, only half listening to it; I couldn't quite get my mind off Jacey.

But, as life turns out, it looks like I didn't have to, 'cause I just found a lead.

The news camera zooms in on the car, and without a doubt, my suspicions are confirmed. I leave a bill on the counter and run out of the café, stepping on it on my way to the town line.