three

Averi's POV:

I walked into the dressing room to see ten eyeballs staring at me. My first instinct was to turn around, leave as fast as I could, and hide under my covers. Instead, I took a deep breath, and walked in further.

"Don't worry, cutie." Camila said walking up to hug me. I smiled shyly as she wrapped her arms around my frame.

"Milaaaaaa!" Dinah said, "Don't hog her all to yourself!" she whined playfully. Camila pouted but let go of me. Dinah wrapped her arms around my waist and pulled me to the couch. I quickly, moved off her lap though, because I became aware of how my weight might easily crush her. I ended up sitting next to Dinah and Normani with Dinah still hugging me.

"So, Averi. Tell us about yourself." Ally said softly.

I just shrugged, keeping my eyes on Lauren. It seemed like Lauren had caught on, because she looked at me concerned, her green eyes staring at mine. 

"You don't have to answer anything you don't feel comfortable answering," Lauren spoke, a comforting smile on her face

"Well, there's not much to tell," I said, looking down. 

"Nonsense!" Normani said. "I bet you are a very interesting person," she smiled.

"No, not really. My parents didn't want me, so I live in a foster home, with a foster mom and two foster sisters, but I was raised at Sunnyside Acres Girls Center, for the most part. I don't really have very many friends, because I've had to move to so many schools in and around Miami" I responded, looking down. I looked up a few moments later and saw the adults all looking at me sympathetically. 

"Please don't feel sorry for me; I hate it when people do that. I'm okay," I said, half-lying. I definitely was not okay, but they didn't need to know that. 

"Sorry," they all said in unison, making me giggle.

After introductions, conversation began to flow a little bit more. The girls, like most others I speak to, did the majority of the talking while I listened. I liked it that way. 

"Where's your bathroom?" I whispered to nobody in particular and Ally got up, to show me. I smiled and went inside. As soon as I was alone, I felt my breathing become shallow. I had felt panic and anxiety before, but never to this extent. And I didn't know why. I was with my most favorite people in the world, why should I be feeling like this? The world began to spin, as I sat on the cold tile floor, taking deep breaths. In. Out. In. Out.  

Once my breathing was under control, I washed my face, trying to remove any residual redness that remained before walking out. The five were looking at me expectantly.

"Are you okay?" Lauren asked, in a concerned manner. I nodded and took a deep breath.

"Y-yes" I said softly. Normani came up to me and hugged me gently. I know that she sensed something was wrong. For the first time ever, I felt like somebody cared about me and it felt so . . . foreign. After a few minutes, Lauren's voice spoke up. 

"What's your name?" The older girl asked, her bright emerald eyes boring into mine.

"Averi -- Averi -- James," I replied quietly, not breaking eye contact. I was confused; she already knew my name. Why was she asking?

"No, I know. I mean, do you have a middle name or a second last name?" she persisted.

"Yes. I have a middle name. It's Grace," I said softly, suddenly very uncomfortable with the energy in the room. Lauren looked at me intently, her mouth in an "o" shape as I shifted my feet. 

"Averi, honey, when's your birthday?" Lauren asked again, her voice getting bit louder and shakier. 

Uncomfortable with the many questions, I felt myself become tense. However, I didn't want her to hate me, so I answered with my birthday. The instant I told her my birthday, Lauren gasped audibly, dropping her bottle of water, before quickly standing up and excusing herself.