two

Lauren's POV:

I missed her. I missed my baby girl. My Grace. I thought about her often, wondering what she looked like. I didn't know her name or if they even kept it, but I liked referring to her as Grace, as that is the name I would have chosen, after my grandmother, who was my favorite person, the strongest individual I knew, and the lady I looked up to the most. She passed away when I was 14, but I knew that if I had a child, I would want them to carry her legacy. Although I was barely 16 when she was born, I still grieved like a mother who had lost their child. After all, that is what I was.

I was forced to give her up for adoption. It wasn't what I would have chosen for myself, but what I was coerced to do. It's hard every day, but on days like today, it feels even harder. Today was the anniversary of the day I found out I was pregnant. The day that changed the entire trajectory of my life.

During my pregnancy, I did completed my third year of high school, online. While I had prenatal anxiety and depression during my pregnancy, it worsened after and I did not do well in my senior year classes. Luckily, because I was on track to graduate early to begin with, I was able to substitute some credit, so I repeated the couple classes that I absolutely failed over the summer, and was able to start at a local community college in the fall with my peers. With the right support, medication, and coping skills and study habits, I was able to obtain two associate's degrees in business and music theory, respectively, in three semesters. 

I was in the process of transferring to a four-year college to complete my bachelor's degrees, but the summer before, I tried out for The X-Factor US as a solo act. I was put in a group with four other ladies; Camila Cabello, Normani Kordei, Dinah Jane, and Ally Brooke. We ended up placing third on the X-Factor and the rest is history. We are currently on the Reflection Tour, and tomorrow we are going back to my home state of Florida.

"Lo, the others and I want to watch a movie, so do -- oh Lolo, what's wrong?" Camila asked, as she approached me and rested a gentle hand on my back as I cried softly. 

"Is it Gracie?" She asked referring to the nickname they had given the girl. I nodded as she continued to rub circles around my back

"I miss her, Camz," I said, my voice cracking. "I miss her, and I don't even know her."

Camila looked at me, her own eyes welling up with tears. "You have every right to miss her, Lo. She'll always be connected to you," She said, as I rested my head on her shoulder, closing my eyes. 

--

When I woke up, Camila's arms were wrapped tightly around me, and I gently moved them, not wanting to wake her. I walked out of the bunk area and into the kitchen area where Ally, Normani, and Dinah were sprawled out, doing various activities.

"How are you holding up?" Normani asked me, rubbing my arm.

"I'm good. I'm excited for tonight's show," I said, not a sign of my sorrow present and she sighed, knowing that I wouldn't let any vulnerability show through.

Camila soon woke up, just as we arrived at the venue that the show would be taking place in. Pushing aside the thoughts of my daughter, I began to get excited for tonight. Hometown shows were always the best. Our families were there and the energy is different, but for some reason, I felt like tonight would be different. I shrugged that feeling off and got ready for the day.

Averi's POV:

I woke up with a smile. Today was the day. I was going to meet my idols. 

Eyeing the back I had packed the night before, I tried to quietly open my window and throw it right outside. Luckily, my window did not have a window screen, which I normally hated, but found very convenient today. I couldn't tell any of the other girls. I couldn't risk them accidentally letting it slip. Then, I would never be allowed to go. After I took my hair out of the braids I had done overnight, I brushed my fingers through my hair and smoothed out the flyaways. I quickly did two bubble braids on either side to hold back my front pieces and allowed the rest to fall naturally. I slipped on a pale pink and white floral dress with a pair white sandals Miss Lisa had given me for my birthday.