Chapter Four: Texts From Carter

Just as Joven, Sohinki, and Lasercorn decided to leave, Anthony and Ian pulled into the driveway. I sit on the couch as Ian and Anthony walk in.
"How was hanging with Smosh Games?" Ian asks.
"We made a bet," I say. "I lost."
"What was the bet?" Anthony asks curiously.
"Sohinki can make me sing any song at any time for a whole week," I say. Ian and Anthony laugh so hard they can barely breathe.
"That's going to be awesome," Ian says wiping the tears of laughter away.
"Oh and our friend Mari is coming over tomorrow to help with the rest of the video at about ten," Ian says. I nod.
"So be out of the house before ten. Got it," I say.
"Well, you could always stay and watch," He says.
"Oh, um, alright. I guess I'll stay for a little while," I give in.
The next morning, I wake up at about nine o'clock. I get dressed and put my glasses on. I brush through my dark brown hair and leave it down. I walk out into the living room and see Ian and a girl sitting on the couch.
"Oh, Aeryn, you're up," Ian says standing up. "Aeryn, this is Mari. Mari, this is Aeryn, my cousin."
She smiles and gets up. I stick out my hand for her to shake. She shakes it and I shoot her a smile.
"Where's Anthony?" I ask. Just as I ask someone grabs me from behind. I shriek in terror as Ian and Mari laugh. The person let's me go and I turn to see Anthony.
"You ass," I say smacking him in the chest.
"Got that on video," he says holding up his phone. I glare at him. He smiles innocently. The camera crew walks through the door. Ian and Anthony explain the scene to them and start to shoot. I start to get bored watching and tell Ian during their break that I'm going to go for a walk and take a look around.
"Don't get lost," he calls after me.
"No promises," I yell back and walk out the door with my phone and some cash just in case. I walk around the neighborhood seeing pretty much nothing but houses, then I stumble upon a nice park. I smile and sit down on the swings. My phone vibrates. I grab it out of my pocket and see I have a new text.
Where are you, Aeryn? I'm worried. I'm sorry about what happened. Look, I'm still in love with you. She didn't mean anything it was a one time thing. I haven't seen you in a few days. I even stopped by your apartment and you didn't answer. Where the hell are you? -Carter
Why did he have to text me?
I broke up with you, Carter. It's none of your business where I am. I don't need you in my life anymore. I have a new boyfriend. Okay yeah, it was a lie, but hopefully it would get him off my back. I receive another text a few minutes later.
Wow, slut much? I knew you were a whore, but not enough to just get another boyfriend so quickly. You probably had them all lined up waiting for the day we broke up. -Carter
Tears form in my eyes. Carter was so sweet when we were dating, what happened? He used to surprise me with picnics and tiny little presents to show he cared. I'm not materialistic, but it was a nice thought that he was out buying groceries or something and he saw an item and thought of me.
My phone starts blaring Carry on my Wayward Son by Kansas. Without looking at the number I answer it.
"Never gonna give you up by Rick Astley," a man says into the phone.
"What?" I ask.
"This is Sohinki," he says.
"Oh, um, this isn't the best time, Matt," I say using his first name. I wipe a tear off of my cheek.
"What's wrong?" he asks.
"How did you get this number?" I ask changing the subject.
"Ian. Now don't change the subject. What's wrong?" he asks.
"Its nothing. You shouldn't be concerned," I say.
"But I am. I'll call Ian if I have to," he threatens. I laugh slightly. "Com'on tell me."
"No."
"Aeryn, you can tell me anything," he says.
"Well, come to the park just down the street from Ian and Anthony's house and I'll explain."
"Alright. I'm on my way," He says hanging up. I sigh and put my phone back into my purse. I sit on the swing slightly swinging back and forth until Sohinki shows up. He slams his car door and rushes over to me.
"Now you have to tell me. I left work to come here," he says sitting down on the swing next to me. I smile.
"And thank you for that," I say. I hold out my phone to him. He reads the texts.
"What an asshole," Sohinki says handing the phone back to me. I shut it off and stuff it back into my pocket.
"Wait, you have boyfriend?" he asks sounding slightly disappointed.
"Oh, uh, no. It was lie to try and get him off my back," I explain. He nods and looks at the ground swinging back and forth on the swing. We stay silent for a few minutes. It wasn't an awkward silence, it was a comfortable silence.
"Aeryn?" Sohinki asks.
"Yeah?"
"I should be getting back to work," he says. I nod and stand up. He stands up with me.
"You want me to drive you home?" he asks grabbing the keys out of his pocket.
"No. I don't want to inconvenience you," I say.
"It wouldn't inconvenience me at all," He says. We walk to his car.
"You could never inconvenience me," He whispers, but I hear it. I don't say anything and get in the car.