Twenty-Two: Trial

I run all the way to a small coffee shop and walk inside. I pull a twenty out of my pocket and walk up to the counter. I order a black coffee. I sit down at a table near the window. I sip my coffee and stare out the window.
"Aeryn!" someone says walking into the coffee shop. I look over and see Anthony running over to me. He sits down next to me at the table.
"What?" I ask.
"I heard about you and Sohinki's fight," he says. "I wanted to see if you were okay."
"Yeah," I lie. "I'm fine."
"Why do you always have to say you're fine, Aeryn?" he asks like a child.
"I just do. Okay?"
"Aeryn, everyone's here for you," He says softly.
"Matt isn't," I whisper.
"Well, Sohinki is losing the best thing that he could've had," Anthony says. I just stare out the window again. My phone vibrates in my pocket. It's a phone call from an unknown number.
"Hello?" I ask.
"Ms. Foxworth?" a man asks from the other side.
"This is her," I respond.
"This is Officer Tran. I wanted to tell you your ex boyfriend's trial is tomorrow. I want to know if you still want to testify against him," he says.
"Uh, yeah. Yeah I want to testify," I say.
"What about the man who was stabbed?" he asks.
"Uh, I don't know," I say. "Possibly."
"Alright, miss. The trial starts at twelve o'clock sharp. Have a good day," he says.
"You too," I say and hang up the phone.
"Who was that?" Anthony asks.
"Officer Tran. He asked if I still wanted to testify against Carter," I say.
"And?"
"I said I want to. I'll be going in tomorrow. He asked if Matt was coming, but I'm not sure he will. We kinda sorta stopped being friends," I say.
"Stopped being friends?" he asks. I tell him about our entire fight and how Matt and I stopped being friends.
"Well, Matt should still testify, I mean, he was stabbed by Carter," Anthony says. I nod.

I walk into the house later that day and flop onto the couch. I grab my phone out of my pocket and click on Matt's number. I compose a new message.
Matt, I'm sorry for all those mean things I said about Rosanna. You're clearly happy with your choice and I should accept that. But I want to know if you'll still testify against Carter. The trial starts at twelve sharp. I understand if you don't want to testify though. Let this be a test of our friendship, if you show up, you forgive me and want to try being friends again, but if you don't, I won't bother you again. Ever.
I hesitant to click the send button. Screw it, I think to myself and click the button.

I wake up the next morning and get ready for the trial. I wear a nice black tank top with ruffles on the front. I put red skinny jeans on and wear black flats. I straighten my hair and pin my bangs back. Perfect.

I tap my fingers on the table in the courtroom. I turn around and stare at the door waiting for Matt to come in.
11:50. He's got ten minutes. He'll be here.
People are filing into the courtroom from the door. The jury has already taken their seats and the Carter's attorney sits at the table next to the one I'm sitting at.
11:58. He'll be here.
11:59. Maybe he doesn't want to be friends anymore...
12:00. I see...
"Order in the court," the judge taps the gavel.

~Matt's P.O.V.~
My phone buzzes next to me on the couch. I pick it up and see it's a text from Aeryn. What could she want? I open the text.
Matt, I'm sorry for all those mean things I said about Rosanna. You're clearly happy with your choice and I should accept that. But I want to know if you'll still testify against Carter. The trial starts at twelve sharp. I understand if you don't want to testify though. Let this be a test of our friendship, if you show up, you forgive me and want to try being friends again, but if you don't, I won't bother you again. Ever.
Of course I'll be there. I didn't mean what I said today, but I was just mad because Aeryn was hating on Rosanna. Rosanna plops down on the couch and reads the text over my shoulder.
"You're not going," she says simply.
"What?" I ask.
"I don't want you being friends with Aeryn," she says.
"I have to go, Rose. The guy that we're testifying against stabbed me in the stomach. If I don't go, he'll be set free and he'll attack Aeryn again," I explain to her.
"I don't care if she gets attacked. She can die for all I care," Rose says studying her nails.
"Rose," I scold.
"What? I don't like her. She's a bitch."
"I don't know why you'd wish death upon any one, Rose," I say.
"Well, I don't like Aeryn and he'd get rid of her without me having to get my hands dirty," she says with a giggle.
"That's not a laughable subject, Rose!" I exclaim standing up from the couch and turning to her.
"Well, you don't like Aeryn anymore anyway," she says batting her eyelids. She stands up and tries to put her hands on my chest.
"No, Rose, I think..." I say.
"Think what, Matty?" she asks sweetly.
"I think... We should break up. I can't date someone who wishes death upon my best friend."
"But, Matt," she stomps her foot.
"No," I say angrily. "Get your shit and leave."
"You'll regret this, Matthew Sohinki!" She shouts leaving the house.