Chapter 42

“Kim, you don’t look so good” I told her as I observed her face.

We’d travelled back from Newcastle earlier and picked up Lou-Lou from Sarah’s on the way back. We’d come straight to the park for a nice walk in the snow. Kimberley had started with a cough a few hours ago but she has assured me she felt fine, But not long into the walk it was clear she felt a lot worse than she’d let on.

“Babe, lets sit down on that bench” I held her hand and directed her over to the snow covered bench. She followed me slowly and gingery. Once we reached the bench I wiped the snow that was covering it off on to the floor with my hand, My hand immediately became numb from the freezing snow.  She gave me a small smile at my action and was just about to sit down on the wet bench when I stopped her. “Wait babe” I told her. I took my jacket off and laid it on the bench for her to sit on. I didn’t want her sitting in a pool of water when she was already feeling ill.

“Chez” She smiled at me

“Just sit” I ordered her. 

She sat down on my coat and sighed. She didn’t look well at all, Her face was so pale and her  normally sparkly eyes where dull and lifeless. I placed the back of my hand on her forehead, It was burning, she definitely had a fever and her skin was clammy to touch.

“How do you feel” I asked her as I stood in front of her

“Dizzy” 

“Aww babe, How about you sit here for a few minutes until you feel a bit better then we’ll go straight home” 

“Yeah, That might be for the best” She replied 

After a few more minutes Kimberley got to her feet, I picked my wet coat up and threaded my arm around hers as we slowly walked to the car park as snow fell from the sky.

“Put your weight on me if you want” I told her as we walked along the path.

“Thanks” She leaned more into me as I lead her to the car

Once we got to the car Kimberley pulled the car keys out of her pocket and walked around to the drivers side.

“I don’t think so” I laughed at her

She held on to the car door to steady herself as she addressed me “What?”

“I’m driving, No arguing” I told her firmly as I walked around to her and took the keys out of her hand.

“Cheryl, You cant” she said slowly. It seemed even a effort to talk.

“Well your not, Either I drive or you walk .  By the looks of you . . I’d say crawl , There is no way I’m letting you drive in this condition”

“Ok” She sighed. She didn’t have the energy to fight me. I wrapped my arm around her waist and lead her to the passenger side of the car, I opened the door for her and helped into her seat.  I opened the boot and Lou-Lou jumped in. I climbed into the drivers seat and started the car, Kimberley rested her head back into the headrest and gave me a small smile.

“Lets get you home” I said as graze her thigh with my hand.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

“Good boy” I patted Lou-Lou’s head as I took his collar from around his neck, He wagged his tail and ran in the kitchen curling up in his bed.

Kimberley unsteadily took her coat off and hung it across the radiator, I did the same with my wet coat. 

“Why don’t you go and get in bed, I’ll bring you a cup of tea to warm you up” I told her as she leaned against the wall in the hall.