Chapter 34

Jared's P.O.V.

I was in my room waiting patiently for Melanie. Ok, not really patiently. I was standing by the window and looking outside when she came in.

For a few seconds we just stood at different ends of the room looking at each other. Then she looked away.

"So, uh, you sleepy yet?" I asked.

"Not really. I will read before going to sleep."

"Oh. I will watch the TV."

She nodded and then asked "Where did you keep my novels?"

I pointed at the rack where I had kept them and switched on the TV. I saw her picking up the pillow and going towards the couch.

"Melanie , where are you taking that pillow?"

She looked at me as if I were nuts. "Where do you think? To the couch, of course."

"You will sleep on the bed."

"Really?" she asked surprised and seemed genuinely pleased.

"Of course." I said smiling . I was excited by the fact that she was happy about sleeping with me on my bed.

She came towards the bed but then her smile suddenly fell and she said , "Uh , I better sleep on the couch. I mean when I am not comfortable on it then you will have a lot of problem. So it's better I sleep on it."

Wow , I felt so stupid for even thinking she was happy about sleeping with me. Why did I even think that?

"Uh , we can both use the bed as we used to."

She seemed to be thinking about something ad then she blushed. What happened? Actually whatever, I juzt loved to see her blush. When she did not say anything and continued to stand beside the bed , I took the pillow from her hands and placed it on the bed.

"Now , come on Melanie .Don't be afraid . I won't bite."

She slowly climbed up the bed and made herself comfortable. Then she opened her book and started reading it. I returned my attention to the TV. 

Who was I kidding? I could not stop myself from looking at her again and again. God , she looked beautiful. She did seem completely engrossed in the book. Her hair was falling on her face. I almost moved my hands forward to move the hair of her face, Wonder what would have happened if I did that suddenly? I noticed Melanie actually changed her expression with the story . Wow, she really was different.

"What?" she suddenly said looking at me , all of a sudden. That got me off guard .

"Huh?" that was all I could say .What happened to all my confidence? Oh yeah, Melanie happened.

"Why are you not seeing me instead of the TV ? Do I look funny?"

No babe , u look beautiful. I did not say that . I said something else.

"So what if I was looking? I mean I was just looking. I was not eye molesting you like the way you did to me this morning."

She opened her mouth to say something but then shut it. God , she was blushing and blushing hard. She looked the other way without saying anything , then she suddenly got off the bed and said , " You know what , I think I will sleep on the couch." Saying that she walked away from the bed.

I did not want that . I quickly jumped off the bed and grabbed her hands . 

"Hey , I am sorry , really. Don't be-"

"Just stop it. Ok? I am sleepy." She tried to free her hands. I knew she would not be able to. She looked irritated but not angry so I took my chances and pulled her towards me and trapped her between my body and my hands.

"Wh- what , what are you doing?"

"Trying to apologize." I said as a matter of fact.

"I forgive you , now let me go."

"Only if you promise to sleep on the bed."

She thought for a moment and then nodded.

"And if you think you are lying your way out , then be assured that if you go and sleep on the couch , it won't be difficult for me to bring you here." The last few words came out as a whisper .

"Hmm." She kept her eyes everywhere except me. Did my words have any effect on her? Like , more than normal effect ? If it did , then I was sure to become a lucky man soon.

I let her go and she got on the bed and laid down closing her eyes.  

Melanie's P.O.V.

I quickly closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep. The truth was every ounce of sleep was forgotten. Instead , my senses were getting hyper by the recent closeness with Jared. That guy had no idea what his physical closeness did to me. It sent me to opposite ends . One part wanted to be close to him and the other , sane part wanted to get away from him.

After some minutes I felt him slid him beside me. I maintained by position anyhow. I was finally drifting off when my mobile started ringing. I almost fell off my bed with shock. It was too late for someone to call me. I switched on the bedside lamp and grabbed the phone. Jared was sitting up too . I saw the caller ID . It was Trey.

"Hey , Trey ? What happened? Is everything Ok?" I asked, worried.

"Mel, uh, yeah . I just, I was bored."

Bored? Really?

"What? God, you got me all worried."

"Sorry about that. What we-were you doing? Were you busy?"

"What ? No. I was sleeping . You should be sleeping too." 

"Yeah but I was feeling restless."

"Did something happen?"

"I am confused." There was pain in his voice, I guessed.

"Is there something I can-" I could not complete my sentence as Jared took the cell from my hands.

"Hey Trey , its me. What is it?" he said in a not so warm manner.

I could not understand Trey was saying but Jared did not look really pleased.

"Come on, get some sleep man. It is late now, isn't it?'

"Bye .Goodnight."

He kept the phone on the bed and looked at me with cold eyes.

"Melanie, does he always call you this late?" He asked with his eyes fixed on me.

Something about me made me feel he was in a very bad mood so I came him a direct reply. 

"Never."

He stared at me for a long time as if trying to find out whether I lied. He was making me very uncomfortable but I kept mum. Finally, he switched off his bedside lamp and lied down.

My mind whirling with confusion, I did the same and tried to sleep.