Chapter 14

Mealnie's P.O.V.

While I was in the kitchen I saw Jared entering. I had a feeling he was ignoring me so I did not say anything to him too and silently headed towards the living room.

I sat on the couch and picked up a magazine that was lying on the table. Just then my cell beeped . 

I checked it was a text from an unknown number. I clicked on it.

Unknown: I have a new one.

What? I could not make anything of it. I guessed someone sent it to my number by mistake so I did not reply. My cell beeped again after a minute or so. A text from the same number. I opened it .

Unknown: I have a new case in my hands, Melanie.

I felt myself smiling on reading it. It was Trey. I texted him back instantly.

Me: Trey?

Trey: No, I am a stalker .

Me: ha ha ! You know I am kind of excited that you have a new case.

Trey: I thought you will be that's why I told you. I mean I know you love my work

Me: Of course. I told you myself. So is it against your profession's rule to tell me anything about the case?

Trey: I don't disclose my case with anyone until it is solved but I can tell you the basic details.

Me: Wow! Really? When will you tell me? Will you come tomorrow?

Trey: No, but we will meet soon. I have work right now. Bye. Goodnight. Wish Jared Goodnight on my behalf.

Me: Goodnight. I will.

I was smiling ear to ear . I will get to know about a real mystery. How exciting.

"Dinner is ready", Jared called.

~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~

I was lying on my bed and trying to sleep but was not able to succeed. I could not divert from mind form the fact that this house was surrounded with nothing but forests. Forests that held god knows how many secrets. I know, childish but I could not help it. I had not even switched off the lights still I felt as if someone was watching me.

At about 2:30 a.m. I decided I had enough. I could not compromise with my sleep anymore.

After a minute or so I was standing in front Jared's room. Finally I knocked.

Jared's P.O.V.

I was in dreamland when I heard a faint knocking from somewhere. I guess I was dreaming that too. 

The knock grew louder after a while. I was in the half sleep - half awake state by then. My mind was trying to process who was it knocking on my door at this ungodly hour. I lived alone after all. 

That's when I sprang up from my bed and ran towards the door.

Melanie. God, what happened?

I opened the door to find her standing at my door step with a tired look on her face.

"What happened? Something wrong?

"Um, I , was ... I mean I was wondering whether you are still ready to let me sleep in your room?"

"What?" I could not stop myself from laughing at that.

She stood there glaring at me.

"Yes, Melanie. Come in."

I moved out of her way. She entered my room for the first time and judging by the look on her face I could say she really liked it.

I took her pillow and cover from her hands and kept it on the couch.

"Jared, what are you doing ? I will not sleep on the couch?"

"Then?"

"I will sleep on the bed and you will sleep on the couch." 

"I guess that's a joke. There is no way I am going to sleep on it. I am the one in charge here." I said with a smirk.

"So? Can't you see I am too tall to fit in that? I am 5.8."

"Yeah ? Have you failed to notice I am a good 7 inches taller than you?"

"So? You can adjust. You are a tough guy."

"Don't give me that. Either you sleep on the couch or sleep with me on my bed. Now choose."

"Fine. I will sleep on the couch."

Finally. I saw her getting under the cover. After that I laid down on my bed and switched off the lights."

"Good night, Melanie."

"Good night. You now Trey asked me to wish you good night too?"

"What? Trey? Why would he do that?"

"We were message chatting before dinner."

"So you both are text buddies now? Great."

That was the last thing I said before sleeping.