I Have One Regret

Teyana.

"They shot first I was just shooting out of self defense." Keenon explains through the glass window, using the phone.

"Why did you even have a gun with you?" I refuse to look in his eyes, I can't bring myself to do it or I'll most likely start crying.

"Just in case something such as this did happen. I mean luckily I ain't get shot because the bull was shooting at me but I shot him once and couldn't shoot no more because of the pain."

"Do you know why or who?"

"It was some MS-13 gang members."

"How do you know? How do they know you?" I know Keenon is affiliated with Tree Top Pirus ever since we moved to Pico Rivera he hasn't been in Compton daily, on the streets slanging, therefore when he goes out to Compton he dresses in red which is basically like assassinating yourself, planning your own murder when you live in LA but that's what he does.

"They was throwing up gang signs."

"Were you?"

"Nah we wasn't, we just all was wearing certain colors."

I didn't say anything.

"Look at me." It took me a minute but I eventually found the courage to look in his eyes. "I need you to go in my safe and use the money to pay for a lawyer."

"Okay." I look down at the desk.

"Teyana."

I look up at him once again.

"I love you, alright."

"I love you too."

"I'm gonna be out before you know it."

"How are you gonna fight the case."

"Self defense."

"Okay."

We talked for a little but longer before we had to go out separate ways. It was hard to bring myself to leave him in this hellhole. I cried, damn near sobbed about how much I don't want him to go. I was acting as if he would never come back.

*

"The defendant will not be able to be released on bail due to being a threat to the community according to numerous past charges." The judges said.

*

"Past charges Keenon?"

"Damn I don't even get a hello...I missed you nothing like that."

"Keenon what are they talking about?"

"I got arrested a few times." He shrugs as if it's nothing that I didn't know about this.

"Numerous Keenon, meaning more than once. What did you get arrested for?"

"I got arrested a couple times for doing different things."

"Explain."

"My first time getting arrested I was twelve and it was for graffiti and then when I was fourteen for gang affiliation and then seventeen for gang affiliation and twice when I was eighteen for possession of marijuana. Oh and once when I was nineteen for armed robbery."

I tucked in my lips and stood up to leave. He stood up. "Where you going?"

"You've been arrested six times YG and never told about any of them."

"It wasn't important and you ain't ask."
I rolled my eyes. "C'mon ma sit down."

I sat down like he said. I looked around in the cafeteria resembling room at the other inmates talking to their families.