Life And Death

Y/N's POV

Sleeping against a wall is never a good idea, even in the best of circumstances. Y/N woke with neck cramp, still with Shadow asleep on her shoulder. She smiled, quietly enjoying the moment. The tingling feeling was back, tickling her whole body like a thousand feathers. She could barely breathe because of it. Twisting the cramp from her neck, she looked at the clock. 6:35am. She still had about two hours before school started. Her head rested in Shadow's quills. Despite the way they looked sharp, they were actually kind of soft and flexible, like a pillow. Her eyelids drooped, but sleep didn't take her. She smiled to herself, wondering What has gotten into me? I've never felt this way before. Throughout her thoughts, the tingling feeling intensified until she was visibly shaking. She forced herself to stop just as he woke. Groaning, he pushed himself up as she lifted her head from his. He looked up at her and smiled. Tears suddenly formed in his eyes and he flung himself into her chest. Startled, Y/N paused for a moment before wrapping her arms around him. Her hair flopped over her face , the tips tracing over Shadow's shoulders.

"Hey, it's OK. What happened?"
"Memories. Of the girl I told you about last night. Maria. She... died trying to send me to Earth."

Her thoughts and feelings were thrown around in a whirlwind. This girl, Maria, had died to send him here? Why? What had happened?
"That was over fifty years ago."
"Fifty years? How is that possible?"
"I don't know. I just don't seem to grow old. Age doesn't have any effect on me."

Y/N was silent for several minutes, absorbing his words. Uncertain, she leaned back against the windowpane, looking up at the breaking dawn. Shadow was still burying his head in her pyjamas. One hand inched its way into his quills, gently stroking them to comfort him. She smiled. Everything seemed so wrong, but at the same time it felt so right.

"It feels weird, how I can't remember anything that happened last month, but I can remember something that happened fifty years ago."
"Yeah."

She glanced at the clock. Time had passed really quickly! It was already 7:45am! How had over an hour gone by in what felt like two minutes?
"Hang on, I'd better get changed. We've got three quarters of an hour before school starts and everybody starts flooding into this place."

Twenty minutes later, Y/N was back in her usual clothes playing her guitar again when the nurse poked her head around the door.

"Good news you two! Shadow should be able to walk again in about a week."
Y/N grinned, "That's great! Thanks."
As the nurse left, Shadow looked doubtful, "Did her voice sound robotic to you?"
She frowned, "A little I guess. Why?"
"And how did she know my name?"

"I didn't tell her. but why?"
"I don't know. I must just still be a bit jumpy from all the time I was running."
"Maybe..." Her answer trailed off. Another song was slowly played as she waited for him to respond.

"Well, I guess I'll be leaving sooner or later."
"Leaving? Are you sure you're strong enough?"
"I didn't mean right now."
"I know, but are you sure?"
"I'll be fine."
Y/N could feel her cheeks burning again. She didn't want him to leave, but just couldn't bring herself to tell him how she felt. He carefully slid out of the bed and sat down next to her, stepping over the tubes attached to him.

"Are you OK?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, I just... I don't want to be left alone again." The door suddenly slammed open before he could answer. B/F/N burst in, breathing heavily.

"Y/N... You've got... to hurry... It's Gran... she... collapsed... this morning."
"What?! I'm on my way," Y/N put her guitar down on a chair and moved straight for the door.

"Wait! I'm coming too," Shadow limped over behind her, the tubes no longer needed.

"Fine, but let me carry you. There's no way you're walking like that."