Returning Home

A heavy weight lay across his stomach as Shadow slowly woke up, eyelids flickering steadily open. His chest was soaked in blood and tears. Blood had crusted along his forehead and his quills. Y/N lay across his stomach.

"Y/N, you promised," he whispered.

"Shadow?" she lifted her head in disbelief.

"You promised we'd both survive."
"Shadow!" Throwing her arms around him, she sobbed with joy, "You're alive!"

"Of course I am."
"You're not one to die easily."
Both of them burst out laughing, holding onto each other's shoulders to stay upright.

"Oh, Shadow, don't ever do that to me again."
"We're even right? I mean, first you then me."
"True."
"Y/N? You OK in there?" Sonic yelled from the door.

"We're fine?"
"We? Who else?"
"You might want to bring everyone in. You know, just cos."
"OK... If you say so..."

Silver and Sonic were the first ones in, followed by the others.

"What? What is it?"
"What happened?"
"Guys, I want you to meet... Shadow."
Everyone stared at Shadow, "You're still alive?!"
"Shadow!" Sonic and Silver were instantly there, arms around him as brothers.

"Good to see you guys too," Breathless, Shadow chuckled and fell onto the floor underneath the other two. Laughing, they sat in a pile in the middle of the room while everyone else collapsed giggling too. Eventually, Y/N slid off the bed and carefully pulled Shadow to his feet.

"Welcome home."
She pressed in close like she had done in the arena. This time Shadow went straight in and kissed her without holding back. It was the happiest moment of his life. A meteor could have crashed into the Earth, wiping out all life, and he wouldn't have cared a bit.