Strength in Numbers

Shadow's POV

Y/N wouldn't change her mind. She was set on facing Eggman no matter what. They ran through the school, shoving past screaming students and terrified teachers. Callum, Connor and Chris were yelling, "We're all gonna die! We're all gonna die!"

Y/N wrenched open the door, sprinting out into the courtyard. She pushed her way to the front of the gathered crowd, Shadow just behind her.

"Ah, there you are. I was wondering where you had got to," Eggman laughed through the microphone in his machine, "Anyway, I don't want to destroy everything before I build my empire . Now... get in."
"If all you wanted was me to work with you again, why did you try to kill me?" Shadow glared at the ramp that had opened a gap in the machine's chest.

"I wasn't trying to kill you. I was trying to track you down and subdue you so I could easily take your power."
All eyes were on the pair of them: Shadow, bedraggled and wrapped in bandages, and Eggman, sat up high in his giant robot, towering over the tiny hedgehog. The odds weren't in Shadow's favour.

"You could've just asked."
"That would have been way too simple."
A figure stalked to the front of the crowd behind them. One moment it was the school nurse, the next it had torn off it's disguise, revealing Metal Sonic! Y/N pressed back into Shadow. He glanced over her shoulder and a silent message passed between them: Let's go.

The battle began well, with Shadow against Eggman and Y/N against Metal Sonic.

I still can't believe I ever trusted you," Shadow growled, prepared to avoid an attack. Anger had built up inside him and was going to explode out of him any second.

"You were a very strong partner, I'll give you that."
"All you did was use me."
"You kind of brought it on yourself, after loosing your memory."
A loud crunch of metal told him to duck. Metal Sonic came flying over his head, crashing into Eggman's machine. Both of them toppled.

"Timber!" Y/N yelled, cracking her knuckles as she returned to Shadow's side. The pair laughed as the two robots struggled to get to their feet. Metal Sonic was suddenly back in the air, summoning a giant army of machines to surround them.

"Now what are you gonna do? There's no way out."