Blocking Everything Out

Shadow's POV

Shadow didn't look at anyone as he trudged back inside, though he could feel them watching him. He moved towards his bedroom door, but stopped just before he opened it as Sonic spoke up.

"Hey, you coming to watch TV? Cheer you up a bit."
"I will, just give me a few minutes."
Silver stood up, moving like lightning. He placed one hand on Shadow's shoulder, "If you want to talk-"
"Not now, Silver."
Shadow pushed the door closed behind him and flopped down onto the bed. His room was pretty small; it hadn't been meant for him at first; but it was large enough for him. He hadn't switched the light on, so he lay in the dark, lost in his thoughts of Y/N and Maria. Their faces kept blurring into one another, forming an image that was both of them at the same time. He groaned. Eggman was so gonna get the biggest beating ever when they next met. Heck, he thought, why wait? I'm ready. The sooner I meet him again the sooner I can take back what he took. He yanked open the door, still in his armour.

"Shadow... Where are you going?" Knuckles glanced up from the sofa.

"One word: Eggman."
"Oh no, no way. We're not ready."
"I know. That's why I'm going alone."
"Are you sure that's a good idea?"
"The sooner Egghead is attacked, the less time he has to prepare."
"You gotta admit, he does make a valid point," Rouge shrugged.

"Look, if you guys want to have more time, fine. But I'm going and I'm going now."
"If you're sure..." Sonic looked at him really awkwardly, like he wanted to say something else but couldn't.

"I'll be fine."
"OK. As soon as we're done, we'll be there. I personally wouldn't miss this for the world."

In no time at all, Shadow was sprinting towards Eggman's lair.

"All right, Egghead. We have a score to settle."

He slammed through the wall, rolling to avoid lasers that fired as soon as he made his entrance. He had barrelled straight in during Eggman's lunch break.

"Shadow? What the-?!"
"You killed her! You'll pay for what you've done!"

"Whoa, whoa, slow down. I didn't kill her."
"One of your inventions did."

"No he didn't. Somehow she survived the blast. Her flames kept her alive."
"How is that possible?"

"I don't know, but -"
"You're trying to get me to believe you again!"
"No, I'm telling the truth! She's here, in my lair."
"She can't be! She's dead!"
"Shadow!" Rouge's yell burst out of nowhere as she and the others raced in. They had out done themselves to finish their armour and catch up with him. They must have used to Chaos Emerald to warp to Egghead's lair. Together they faced off with him.

"I'm not lying, she is still alive!"
"Shut up! Stop trying to make me believe you again!"
"Shadow? Is that you?" a soft voice from high up in the darkness of the catwalks made them all look up.

"Silver!" a lilac blur sped towards Silver.

"Blaze! I though I'd never see you again!"
Another figure made her way down more slowly, jumping from wall to catwalk down to the floor. She landed perfectly on her feet, lifting her head and meeting Shadow's eyes. She had the same quills as him, the same eyes, the same posture. The only difference was that she was a girl (and she was wearing black ripped jeans and a crimson T-shirt). She looked like she was on fire. He couldn't tell who she was.

"Shadow, don't you remember? "Kick Eggman into space for me"?"

He let out a noise halfway between a sob and a yell and rushed towards her, finally figuring it out. He knew her.

Y/N.