Shadow's Comeback

Shadow's POV

Shadow pushed himself up to his feet. What was going on out there? Was Y/N in trouble? Did she need him? Too many questions whirled around in his head. He couldn't let her stay out there alone, so he hauled himself out from beneath the tree, staying hidden behind a small bush. The sizzle of metal in a fire filled the air. Occasionally, a clang would echo out, signalling the strike of a blade against the gauntlets Y/N wore. His gauntlets. There was no way Mephiles would take her down. But he was wrong. A sudden slash slipped through her guard, knocking the burning sword from her grip and pushing her to the ground. Mephiles advanced on her slowly, as if he had all the time in the world.

"Oh no you don't," Shadow growled, dashing out from behind the bush. He flung himself between the pair, arms wide to protect her. With the claw marks slashing across his left eye, broken chains hanging from his wrists, the thin cut slicing his face in half and the blood red bandage across his chest, he must have been quite a sight.

"What?!"
"You won't harm her any more than now."
"Huh. Then I'll take you down first."

"Bring it on."

Mephiles rushed at Shadow, who grabbed a branch from the forest floor, having been unable to draw a blade in the limited time that he had before Mephiles struck. He ducked as the burned blade passed over his head and blocked a second slash aimed for his throat. This would be a stupid way to die, wielding a stick, he thought, evading a third attack. Y/N had scrambled out of the way in a blind panic. She hid in the branches of a tree just above them, watching, waiting.

"So, you rely on others to fight your battles for you now, do you?"
"Maybe with powerful foes, but you I will take out alone."
"You're weak! And it is your friends that make you weak, especially her," Mephiles cackled, gesturing towards Y/N.

"That's a lie!" Y/N's yell distracted Shadow for a second, which was all Mephiles needed. He pushed Shadow back, sending him sprawling, blood splattering his chest and face. Again. He yelled in pain, losing his grip on the branch he had been using as a weapon. Mephiles leapt, blade raised to strike and he was knocked from the air by a fireball. Scorched, he fell to the ground next to Shadow, who leapt to his feet, drawing one of his swords. Y/N landed beside him, one hand on fire.

"Your reign of terror is over, Mephiles."
"I wouldn't say that," Mephiles suddenly melted into shadows, vanishing from sight.

"Dang!" Shadow yelled, taking a few steps forward, "He's gone."

"There's nothing we can do now. Just rest and heal."