Y/N's Sacrifice

Shadow's POV

"No!"

Shadow dived to catch Y/N before she hit the ground. Her chest sparked like a broken machine.

"It's gonna be OK. You're gonna be fine."
"Shadow. I know what's going on... I just feel... so... tired."
"I know. I know. I'm here."
She weakly took his hand, "I'm guessing you... want to know... why I did that?"

"Yeah, why?"
She coughed and gently pulled him closer, "I... love... you."
Shadow felt like he'd been hit by one of Eggman's rockets, "You do?"
"Yes," her voice was getting weaker and weaker.

"Shadow!" a different voice called out from the school roof, "Where are you?"
"Who's that?"
"Sonic. I think he's coming to help us."
"Shadow? Shadow!"
"I'm down here!"
Sonic, a blue hedgehog, appearing jumping over the edge of the building, "What happened?"
"Eggman happened," Y/N groaned. Shadow felt tears gather in his eyes and he buried his head in her chest, which was now covered in blood.

"I can't let you die."
"Shadow..." Sonic placed one hand on his shoulder, crouching beside them.

"I just can't."
"Shadow..." Y/N's weakened voice made him look up, "You're OK. That's all that... matters to me right now."

Her smile was all he needed. He pulled her up, cradling her head in his arms, tears streaming down his face.

"It's not all that matters to me though. You matter to me more than I do."
"Shadow, just promise me... one thing."
"Anything."
"Kick Eggman into space for me. But not right now... I want him to be awake... at the time."
Her breath caught in her chest, setting off her coughing. Blood splattered his face but he didn't care. he clutched her hand, holding it to his chest. She smiled gently, running her fingers down his face, wiping away the tears.

"i can't lose you."

"I'm sorry. I couldn't save... both of us, and I wouldn't be... able to live with myself if you were.... in this position," she lifted her burning knife from her side, "Here... You need it more than I do."

Shadow gently took it, being careful not to burn himself. Sonic looked at him, tears gathering in his eyes too.

"I wish I could do something."
"I know... So do I... I'm just... so... tired," her head slid down Shadow's chest as her final sigh was released and she fell asleep for the last time.